Chapter 14

Chapter 14

2 Months Later

The winter was coming to an end. I shut my locker and is not surprised to see Jamie leaning on his locker waiting for me. He smiles sweetly and I smile back grabbing my notebook and shoving it in the bag. We both head towards the entrance and he says, "We're almost there Astra." He grins and his eyes is bright as he speak about graduation with a lot of enthusiasm. "Only a few more months left and we're out of here."

I smile softly as we head to my new car. Daddy said if I was going to work underneath him I had to blend in. This meant driving one of the latest company cars.

I scowl every time I look at the vehicle. However, Jamie loved it and instead of him picking me up every morning. I pick him up and let him drive it.

After the deal with my father everything in my life drastically changed. I attended school the next day and my father order them to let me make up everything I missed. Jamie apologized for his behavior and I quickly forgave him because I needed someone to lean on.

He didn't ask any questions because everyone believed the stupid lie my father told about Prescott being ill and hospitalized.

When I told Jamie that I was now working for my father he questioned why? But, I went along with the story my father made up and told him that while Prescott was sick we became close and he wasn't as bad as I thought. But, it was all a lie. And I was already exhausted from the lies. However, I knew I would have to keep up this act if I wanted Zillah to be safe.

Zillah

Words couldn't explain how much I missed her.

"Astra?" Jamie calls my name.

"Huh." I snap back to reality.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "I lost you there."

"I'm fine." I smile.

Jamie stares at me for a few moments before driving again. We begin to talk about school. I just lean my head on the window and watch the buildings pass by before we are pulling up in Jamie driveway.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Jamie shuts the door. I crawl into the driver seat and frown. I really hated this stupid car. The leather seats wasn't the same and the smell was definitely not the same.

"Yes." I smile. "See you tomorrow. Tell your mother I said hi."

I crank up the car and head towards the city. I frown at seeing the tallest building in the area. I drive into my parking spot and get out heading into the building. People greet me and also step out of my way in fear. I sigh. I hate my life. I head to my father office.

As I walk in I'm not surprised to see Charles and Wyatt.

Charles scowls my way. He still hasn't forgiven me for the gunshot wound in his leg. He is still working on his limp. I flash a smirk his way and a nod Wyatt way. He also didn't like me much either. I didn't care. He didn't understand.

"Astra." My father turns around in his seat greeting me.

"Father." I say. "Why have I been called here? This is my day off."

"There is no such thing as off days." My father scoffs.

I roll my eyes and wait patiently for him to explain my presence.

"This beautiful city I built. Do you know why I'm such a success Astra?"

"Because, you're a greedy dirty bastard." I try.