II

At the age of sixteen, everyone develops the ability to taste what their soulmate is eating. The level of complication of this sixth sense is far too difficult to explain, but it goes a little something like this:

On my older brothers sixteenth birthday, he was able to taste everything his soul mate was eating. He would go out and try to look for this girl every day without fail, but after six months the taste faded away. This means that his soul mate had either; a new soul mate, had died, or that there was a new soulmate somewhere in the world better suited to him.

A few weeks later, he developed a new taste. This time, his soul mate was eating a lot healthier and ate less than his previous soulmate, so when he tasted the food she ate it surprised him. He was so determined to find this girl, but sometimes it's so difficult to find them that the bond breaks and you never get to know who it was.

A month later, however, he had the foulest taste in his mouth- or so he said. You won't believe what happened next.

He saw a girl on the street who was eating a packet of those hot takis things that my brother hated. Just takis. Not rotten food, just takis. He's such a drama queen.

But then it clicked. Every single time she put one in her mouth, the taste got stronger. He stopped her in her tracks, taking the packet of crisps away from her. He asked her if she wanted to get a coffee instead of consuming "something so vile", and despite never meeting him before, she said yes.

My brother is now twenty five. They've been together for almost nine years.

That's the sort of fantasy I need. I want a soul mate who treats me as well as he treats her. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. You see, my sixteenth birthday was last year. I'm almost eighteen and I've never experienced my sixth sense.

Let me start from the beginning. My name is Ava, and this is my story.