16- Bucky Barnes, Forbidden Memories (3/7)

Start from the beginning

"She has to. Otherwise Fury will step in, and we both know we can't let that happen. She's going to be mentally scarred enough as it is by what Hydra has done to her, we don't need to add even more torture to the list. Besides, Bucky would never forgive us if he ever found out we let that happen to his girl."

A spark lit up behind Stark's eyes as he got an idea.

"That's it. We need Bucky to talk to her."

Steve's baby blue eyes widened in shock.

"Tony are you insane?! You not only want to break the news to him that she's alive, but have him interrogate her?"

He shrugged and replied, a small grimace on his face,

"When you say it that way it sounds bad. But what I'm trying to say, is that she might trust him. She obviously knows him, and he understands what she's going through. He may be our only chance."

There was another pause as Steve placed his head in his hands.

"This is a stupid plan."

Stark shrugged,

"But it's the only one we have."

***

Steve's POV

After our talk with (Y/N) I went to talk to Bucky, while Tony worked on having her moved to a different cell.

I had asked FRIDAY where Buck was, and I wasn't surprised when she said he was in the training room. Ever since he came to stay at the tower, he spent most of his free time there.

I pulled the door open and found him hitting a punching bag. He was drenched in sweat and had a crazed look in his eyes.

"Hey Buck? You got a minute?"

He looked over at me and his gaze softened. After one last hit to the bag he started to unwrap his right hand.

"Yeah, I was just about to finish up."

I nodded and followed him as he went to sit down on a nearby bench.

"What do you need Steve?"

I didn't reply right away, not knowing exactly how to tell him about what's been going on. He must have noticed my hesitation because he looked up at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Steve? What is it?"

I sat down next to him and let out a heavy sigh.

"How much do you remember about the 40's?"

He stiffened at the mention of his past, but answered regardless,

"Almost everything... why?"

Here goes nothing.

"How much do you remember about (Y/N)?"

Bucky's fists clenched at the mention of her name and his head lowered as he mumbled,

"Everything... how could I not remember her."

I nodded and took a second before asking,

"How much do you remember about your time with Hydra?"

Bucky stood up and started pacing, obviously getting aggravated,

"I remember some, but not everything. Now tell me why you're asking me all of this."

I stayed silent.

"Steve! Tell me why."

My head dropped as I whispered,

"(Y/N)'s alive."

Bucky froze. We both sat in silence for what felt like an eternity before he finally spoke, his voice cracking,

"What did you just say?"

I finally looked up from the ground and saw the tears building up in his eyes. (Y/N) had meant the world to him, and it broke him when he found out how she died. So I could only imagine what this was doing to him.

"She's alive."

He shook his head, and the tears finally fell,

"No... no you're lying. This is some kind of sick joke, it has to be."

I stood up and took a step closer to him, but he backed away.

"Steve, don't get close to me right now..."

I did as he asked and stayed in place.

"Bucky she's downstairs... but she isn't the same."

His head shot up and his eyes burned with rage as he growled,

"What do you mean she isn't the same?"

I hesitated.

"Steve I swear to God, if you don't explain everything in three seconds, I will kill you."

"She was taken by Hydra Buck... at the same time you were."

Bucky fell to his knees and hid his face in his hands.

"No... no she couldn't have been."

My eyes burned with tears at the sight of my best friend so broken, but I had to fight through them.

"We have her in a cell downstairs. FRIDAY picked her up on security cameras and ran facial scans on her. We think she's been following you ever since you escaped Hydra."

His body shook with sobs, and it nearly caused me to breakdown as well.

"No Steve. Not her. She was too kind to be in a place as hellish as that. The things they probably did to her..."

At that point I decided to go against Bucky's wishes, and I walked up to him. I sat down next to him and placed my arm around him. He continued to cry for a few minutes before finally asking,

"How the hell did I not know about it? How could she have been in the same place as me, and I never knew?"

"Bucky... I think you did."

He looked up at me and it pained me to see his bloodshot eyes and flushed face.

"What do you mean?"

I took in a shaky breath,

"Tony and I were talking to her earlier... and she said 'Hydra shaped the world into what it is today with the help of her and the soldier.' I think that you two worked together..."

He shot up to his feet and ran his fingers through his hair.

"How could I not remember? She's the most important person in the world to me and I can't remember being with her for 70 years?"

"You can't blame yourself Buck. You were mind controlled, and so is she. The only difference is..."

Bucky looked over at me when I stopped talking. He had a fire in his eyes that reminded me of the Winter Soldier, and I had to fight the urge to back away.

"What Steve?"

"The only difference is she only remembers you as the Winter Soldier."