Five

Five

You awoke in the bed that was yours when you grew up. Jesus fucking Christ—if your mother walked in to find you, you'd have to scramble to find an excuse as to why you were sleeping here after days of not speaking to her at all.

You stood quietly, made the bed, and looked around. It hadn't changed in here much, honestly. You made your way to the window and glanced out—you were lucky to be on the first floor of the house. After looking to make sure your mother wasn't in the yard, you slipped the window open and climbed out. It seemed so stupid, but you were going to go around and knock on the front door. You could only pray that somehow, no time had passed and your car in the driveway hadn't become apparent to her.

You took a deep breath and knocked on the door. When your mother opened the door, looking weary, your arms urged you to hug her, but you refrained.

"(y/n)," she said softly.

"Mom—I'm sorry, I—"

"Don't worry about it," she said, wrapping you in her own arms. You melted in your mother's hug and held her back. The security and safety in the embrace of someone kind was something that couldn't be recreated. You were scared and overwhelmed, but you felt just a little bit okay now.

"I'm sorry I haven't been here at all," you said sadly into her shirt

"I'm just glad you're here now," she said, tightening her hold for just a moment. You were about to pull away as you felt her own arms moving away; you felt a hot pain in your back, the pain instant. You let out a choked cry as your mother pushed you away and you stumbled. Your vision blurred as you desperately felt at your back to find the source of your agony. Your fingers brushed against the handle of a knife, the pain twisting through you when you touched it. You looked into the cold eyes of your mother.

"Why?" You asked, feeling a great difficulty in breathing.

She pushed your shoulders, making you fall down the few stairs up to the porch. The knife drove further in, making the pain indescribable. You felt hot all over as you cried out as if you were hit with a sudden fever. When you managed to open your eyes, gasping in pain, you saw the barrel of a gun.

You didn't even know your mom had a gun.

"Why?!" you asked again, adrenalin coursing through you, letting you crawl backward despite the pain.

"I wish I could tell you," she said cruelly before pulling the trigger.

.:x.x.x.x.x.:.

You woke up in the canopied bed from before. You felt the ghost of pain lingering in your back and on your chest. How were you alive? Were you alive?

"Did you get to say goodbye?" Cai asked, sitting on the edge of the bed near your knees.

"What did you do to her?" you sat up, your head instantly shooting with pain. When he gently pushed you back into the bed, you felt your heart rate spike. He didn't do anything else, though, making the action seem almost caring.

"I didn't do anything to her. I just came to get you after she did what she did," he smiled gently as if what he had said wasn't cruel.

"You're lying," you said, regretting the words instantly. Would he hurt you for that?

He didn't do anything, luckily. "Maybe," he shrugged. "Can't say I wasn't curious about how you'd react, not that you didn't do anything unexpected. The run of the mill confusion and horror—nothing special. I still did like the way you looked after betrayal. Your scared face is one I'll cherish." He spoke warmly as if he was talking about a sweet moment, not a literal murder. Why was he like this anyway? You sat up partially and rested on the headboard