Prologue

"We'll do it together if you're so afraid."

            "I don't know if I want to."

            "You said you wanted to,"

            "I'm scared."

            "Well, you don't have to be," said the man, getting annoyed. He leaned forward and raised his hand up to her eye before she swatted it away frightfully.

            "I'll do it myself!" she proclaimed.

            "Then do it. If you want him to love you then you have to go through with it," he somehow managed to snap aloofly. The sun was going down, but the lighting in the house was always the same. It was rather large for a house, and almost no one dared to visit it.

            Everyone knew you only came to Cai if you wanted something. He was an oddity of the town, but his role in the area was accepted and rarely questioned. Willow wanted Peter to love her, and she wasn't a coward.

            At least, she didn't think she was until she was here, actually making a deal with the devil. Cai wasn't actually the devil—or at least no one really believed that—but there was an undeniable air about him that gave him a quality one could only describe as ancient. He didn't seem old (or look old), but he felt like the same feeling you get when you accidentally step on someone's grave. Being around him always felt like it was a fatal mistake, and a mistake you would regret for years. That's why Willow had to be brave. Or maybe just stupid. 

            "I just don't understand why we have to trade...I don't see what that has to do with any of it!"

            "Well of course," Cai laughed, his dark eyes glittering, "You wouldn't get it. If you want to make this deal, I have to share something of mine with you. Really, I should be the one backing out of this whole mess."

            The girl, barely 17, took a deep breath, "Okay, I'm sorry. You strike a hard bargain, though, I have to trade both this and..."

            "You won't even know your first great-grandchild, why worry? Willow, I'm starting to think you don't actually care for Peter at all," Cai teased. He knew she would give in. Anyone with enough guts to come for him for something had enough guts to give away their great-grandchild.

            "Why a great-grandchild, though? You'll have to wait so long," Willow questioned.

            "It's a courtesy to you. Seventy years, give or take, doesn't necessarily mean a lot to me."

            "Ok," Willow nodded. It made enough sense to her. She shakily lifted her fingers to her left eye.

            "Do it."

            "I will!"

            "You're taking forever."

            "Just... Hold on, okay?" She took another breath before slipping her forefinger and her thumb into the socket of her left eye. Her eyes were a pale blue. The sound her fingers made when they reached the back of her eyeball was a nasty squelch as if someone had crushed a grape between their toes. Her breath quickened before halting altogether.

            Cai pushed on her hand, "Make sure you turn it all around. Clockwise. My clockwise, so to your left." She did as he said, ignoring the pain. "Pull it out, now, pull!"

            Willow pulled it out with a pop and a small splash of blood decorating her cheek. She began breathing again, holding her eye out of its socket, the panic in her body setting in. She was still able to see out of it, so her vision was a strange combination of her own palm and the man who sat in front of her.

            "Good job," Cain complimented before popping out one of his gray eyes with ease. He had clearly done this before. "Now come on, let's swap."

            "H-how do we do that?" She asked, too shocked by her own bravado to feel any regret. Cain grabbed a pair of scissors in his right hand.

            "I'll get it for you," he said with a snip to the cords that held her eye to her head. Willow's breath hitched and half her vision disappeared. Before she had time to process everything, Cain's eyeball was placed in her lightly bloodied palm. "You better put that in quick."

            She acted without thought or consideration, she just pushed the foreign ball into the pit in her head. It rolled. The cords that sat on the back of Cain's removed eyeball moved like worms to find the ones tethered in her head, and they connected as if they understood what was happening.

            Willow blinked a few times. She did it. His eye felt just as natural as her own. She wondered if his gray eyes and her blue eyes were different enough for everyone to notice. When she looked up at Cain's face, she worried that it was incredibly noticeable. 

            That's ok. It was worth it. It didn't matter if her eyes were different colors as long as Peter loved her.

            "How does it work?" She asked. Anyone else might berate her for not asking this beforehand, but it was too late to feel foolish.

            "Some of my magic is with you now, but still under my control. The best way to think of it is as if my eye, the one in your head, is like a charm. I put a spell on it; you'll get what you want."

            "Did it have to be eyes?"

            "It could have been anything connected to my physical form," he shrugged.

            "And you didn't think to trade hairs instead?!" she gasped.

            "I like my hair," the man pouted before laughing.

            "I liked my eye!"

            "Go find your boyfriend, Willow. I hope you make lovely children. I'll be excited when I get your descendant," Cai waved her off. It really was a rare occasion for him to do a deal like this—not a lot of people were willing to go to Cai for petty troubles like this.

            Just a few decades and he'd have someone. He didn't know what he'd do with the Young Willow's great-grandchild. Of course, the obvious choice is to make them a servant. A slave, really. They belonged to him—that was part of the spell. Everything comes with a price, and everyone takes whatever he charges. He almost laughed. Willow was trading a whole human's life just for some boy to love her.

            The best part, in Cai's opinion, was that she didn't need any magic in the firstplace. Peter had already visited him earlier in the week, requesting the samething for Willow.

-