one

One

You were back in your hometown. Despite the fact that staying with your parents was never fun, you were happy to be here. It was isolated and small, which sucked sometimes, but it was also comfortable for you. Nothing seemed too dangerous, everyone knew each other (and cared about each other). You could see the stars at night, and the air felt fresh during the days. You were content.

You had left after high school to go to college at 17, and now you were at 20, right back where you started. You enjoyed your experience at college, and you were proud to have earned the hard-won culinary degree.

It was only a three-year program, but every minute of it was difficult. You loved it to pieces, though, and that made it all worth it. Your plan now was to get a job, amass enough funds to live on your own and get a job as a chef. Ideally one day you'd own your own place and create your place in town as a respected restaurant. It was simple, but it was what you wanted.

You were lucky to have parents that would house you for a few months while you gathered the capital to rent somewhere else. You had had a part-time job in the city, but your small amount of savings wouldn't be enough to cover all of your cost of living.

Still though, living with your parents as an adult sucks. It was something plenty of people had to do, but it was kinda the worst. Even if you like your parents, returning back to a place where you are a subservient child isn't fun or easy for anyone. It's like your parents aren't sure how to treat you and you're not sure how to act—and you'll both be frustrated the whole time.

Whatever. You smiled. You were on your way to meet up with your friend at a coffee shop. Like you, he had left Howard county to get an education. Unlike you, he found out that college wasn't his thing. He came back and got a job working as an office worker for the local electric company and was building the life he wanted.

"Alex! I missed you so much!" You laughed, not hesitating to run up to him and hug him immediately. He laughed back and squeezed you tightly before separating from you.

"Who knew that a fancy-ass chef such as yourself would head back to dismal Howard county?" He laughed playfully as the two of you walked into the shop.

"Oh, cut it out," you grinned. "You know I love it here. And besides, how were you gonna carry on without me?"

"God, you know I couldn't," He groaned dramatically before laughing again. "Let's get some coffee."

The two of you caught up with your preferred drinks. You were glad this place was still here, honestly. It wouldn't have surprised you if it had run out of business in your absence—not that you were its sole patron—just that coffee shops in small towns don't always do so great.

After a while, you checked your phone and frowned. "Hey, it looks like my mom has called me twice. Do you mind if I call her back?"

"Abandon me if you must, kitty girl," He pouted. You smiled; he was ridiculous.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't hold your breath," you stuck your tongue out before walking outside to make your call. In a busier place, it wouldn't matter to take it inside, but here you'd be heard by everyone in the store and it felt uncomfortable.

The phone rang once, then twice. You always let it ring four times before giving up. Maybe that wasn't enough, but you figured they could call you back if they needed to.

It was your mother, though, so you gave her the luxury of five rings. Just as you were pulling your phone away to hang up, she answered.