Twenty One

What does it say?”

Three pairs of anxious voices shouted through the bathroom door. I could hear pacing. Bailey would never change.

“It not finished yet. And Bailey please stop pacing. It is making me crazy. You do that all the time when you are nervous,” I said annoyed.

“Is it done yet,” Bailey asked.

Opening the door they all rushed to my side. I hugged them tightly to me and busted out bawling. I was trying to talk but it was more like whimpering. They had worried looks on their faces.

Mika gently rubbed my back and said, “Breathe Evie, Breathe.” She gave me one hard hit in the middle of my back and that was when I realized I was holding my breath.

“I'm pregnant,” I said hiccupping.

They were all jumping for joy and screaming excitedly at the same time. Suddenly they stopped when they saw my tears increase again.

Mika came up to me and wiped them away. “Evie why are you sad. This is a great day. Aren’t you ecstatic?”

“I am but what if Milo doesn’t want any kids.”

“Remember what we told you about assuming. Tell him and see his reaction. We know he loves you very much.”

I had been feeling so sick lately. Throwing up and scarcely able to keep anything down. When Mika came over this morning it was she who suggested I take a pregnancy test. She had brought a paper bag with five. I looked at her with raised eyebrows.

“In case the first four are inaccurate.”
Then she had proceeded to call the other two girls who came flying over when they heard the word emergency.

“You girls will never change will you? Always giving me bad advice and shoving me down the scarcest pathways.”

“It's what big sisters do, take you out of your comfort zone.”

“Well he invited me out for the weekend and asked for me to pack overnight clothes. Says it is a surprise. That it was the date he won with me from the fundraiser.”

“It sounds so romantic,” Leah said.

“A surprise is never good,” Mika said.

“Girls be quite,” Bailey said.

Coming over she hugged me tightly to her. “Congratulations baby sister. You will be a great mother and if things ever get too difficult he or she has three more extra mothers on standby. Just make sure you talk to him.”

Taking my packed bag from the closet I watched my sisters and smiled. We would take care of each other forever. Men may come and go in our lives, our children would grow up and make their own lives but this closeness would always be ours to share.

Embracing them I advise them that Milo would be there in few minutes. As I said those words the doorbell rang. Picking up my bag I ushered them to the door.

Opening it up he had a huge grin on his face but it became crestfallen when he saw the girls behind me. He quickly asked, “Is everything ok.”

“Everything is great Milo. My sisters just heard I was leaving for the weekend and wanted to tell me goodbye and to have fun.”

“Thank goodness because every time I see you all together I get a bit nervous. Like something is going to jump out the bushes and either surprise or scare me.”

“Well great Milo for making us feel like bearers of impending doom,” Leah said.

“I am just being honest girls. I can barely handle Evie. All of you together makes me really nervous.  Or is it fearful? I am kind torn between both.”