Chapter Three

Phase one of Dr. Rodriguez task was almost complete. Here I was turning around completely lost looking for the University registration office. Having gotten accepted last semester, I had been procrastinating because I did not want to leave my job. I was a nervous wreck. I had not been in a classroom for over fifteen years. What if I couldn't do it? None of my sisters knew what I was doing yet. The longer I could keep them in the dark the better. Finally arriving at my destination after so many twists and turns I was getting in line for my Concept of Physics class when I bumped into someone.

"Excuse me," I retorted. "I was not really looking at where I was going."

"It' ok, I wasn't either," the husky voice replied. A masculine hand was helping me pick up my papers that had fallen. Glancing up I was about to thank him when it got stuck in my throat.

All that came out was a "Wow," and then the blush immediately spread across my face.

"Thank you." he said with a smirk. "That is the first time I have gotten a reaction like that from a girl. Sorry, about this again but I am late. See you around Ms...."

"Shepard, Evie Shepard."

"Well it was nice bumping into you Evie Shepard. Hope we see each other again." All I could do was nod my head up and down like a love-struck teenager. The way he said soon made me realize a little too late he really meant it.

With that he hurried off. I felt someone tapping me on the back. Turning around a young lady who seemed to be in her late teens was staring at me. That was when I realized I was still gapping.

"Hey, do you know Milo Herrera?" the beautiful brunette asked.

So that was his name. It sounded so exotic. It suited him. He seemed like he had Latin blood in him. Gosh he was so gorgeous. He had a full head of jet-black hair that made a girl want to run their hands through it. Light brown eyes that sparkling with unknown humor and a tan complexion which told you he worked outdoors.

Still feeling a little flustered I shook my head saying, "Unfortunately, no we just bumped into each other when I was getting in line for registration."

"Oh, too bad because he is the best person to know once you get out of University. He owns the top architectural firm in the west coast and is known to hire the top graduates when they get their degree. Pardon me, here I am blabbering my head off and did not even introduce myself. I am Amy Smith, she said extending a hand. "This is my first year and I will be studying Environmental Architectural Engineering."

"Same here," I added shaking her outstretched hands. She continued looking at me expectantly. That was when I realized I had not told her my name. "I am Evie." Smiling at me she held out her hands again.

"Can I see your schedule," she asked. Handing it over she scanned my schedule and exclaimed excitedly, "We will be having the same classes. Let's see if we will have the same teachers."

After what felt like hours, I finally got into my four classes. As I was walking off the campus, I heard my phone ring.

"Hello," I said after the third ring.

"Evie, where are you? Did you forget we were to have lunch with Leah today since you so conveniently decided to skip out on Sunday dinner.

"Crap! I totally forgot. I will be over in about half an hour."

"Tell me where you are and I will come pick you up," Mika stated huffily while scolding Kaylie for something mischievous she was doing.

"No, that's fine. I will take the bus there."

Right then I heard Amy shout my name. This girl really couldn't have worse timing.

"Who is that Evie? I know you are not at work today. It is your day off."