Chapter Fourteen

It was beautiful. I glanced at myself in the mirror one last time and was blown away. The dress was breathtaking. A day ago a messenger brought it to my door. The message on it said AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT. I KNOW YOU LOVE LACE.

It didn't have a signature on it but I knew it was from Milo. I guess he wanted me to wear it for the party. It was red and had a square neckline. The sleeves were three quarter lace and a quinolone skirt that flared above the knees. I did my ownmakeup this time so hopefully I did not overdo it. I slid on a black heel peep toe pump  and the transformation was complete. This was going to be an interesting evening.

The doorbell rang as I was placing the last gifts in the shopping bag. I hope everyone loved their presents. Because I placed a lot of thought into them. The only person I did not get a present for was Sandra. The witch didn’t deserve one.
Going to the door I opened it and was blown away by how handsome Milo looked in his tuxedo.

“You look edible,” I stated with my runaway mouth.

“Touché,” he said cracking up.  "I really love that runaway mouth of yours. I wander if it does that only with me."

In that instance he saw a simple beauty. Someone who didn't need fancy dresses, spa days or make-up to attract attention.  To him she was breathtaking. How she could not see that he was beyond him.

“You're not that special.  Get used to it. It’s who I am and it won’t change.

Taking the bag from my hand he looked back at me and said, “You didn't have to”.

“I wanted to, except I didn't get anything for Sandra. Because she is a stuck up b….”

“Hold up she still my sister. Please, Evie I am not asking you to be her best friend but at least be civilized for me this evening. This event is very important for me and my mom.”

“I feel sorry for you to be saddled with a demon sister but I promise I will be at my utmost behavior.”

“Evie, he growled warning.

Smiling sheepishly, “I promise. Scouts honor,” I said holding up my three fingers.

“Thank you,” he smiled kissing me lightly on the cheek.

“You are just lucky that you are slowly growing on me.” 

“Well I guess a man just got to take what he can get.”

Arriving at the entrance of the Excelsior Hotel there were light bulb flashing everywhere blinded me for an instance. I was a bit confused. That was when I heard the shouted questions to Milo asking who the stunning beauty beside him was. There were reporters everywhere. I was frightened.

“Milo, what is this.”

“Don’t be mad. I was afraid if I told you the kind of event my mother’s Christmas Eve party was you wouldn't have come.

“You think! By tomorrow my face will be splashed over every newspaper in the city.”

“You do realize you wound my ego. Am I that much of an ogre that being seem with me would hurt your reputation. I’ll take care of the newspaper. Relax and have fun for my mom sake."

“You really do know how to layer on the guilt.”

“That I do sweet cheeks.” Holding my hand he gave it a reassuring squeeze.

The ballroom of the Hotel was lavishly decorated. I was a bit taken aback by its grandeur. Mrs. Herrera had them do a wonderful job. Now I know why Milo chose my dress color. The theme was red, white and gold.