Chapter Five

"Why are you staring daggers into the wall Ms. Shepard? He had to open his mouth. I wished he would not have said anything. That way I could just keep stabbing him to death in my thoughts. We had both been sitting here in glorious silence for fifteen minutes. Punishing myself through another session with Dr. Loony. The only consolidation was that Bailey was not my bodyguard again. Actually, none of my sister batted an eyelash when I told them I would take the bus. Which was a first. They were always following me like hound dogs. I think they believed I was doing better. Especially after our night out. They have been ragging me for months to get my license, but I preferred them driving me. Driving myself meant I had to worry about other people. I had responsibility for one life and that was mine.

I don't think it was possible to want to punch the smirk off someone's face as much as I did right this instance.

"Seems like you are dying to say something."

"This is all your fault."

"What is all my fault?"

"All I wanted to do was stay buried in my bottle and misery. But no, a brilliant doctor suggested do two things for yourself. Trying not to be the pessimist as I usually am, I followed the idea. Now I feel even more depressed."

"Can you tell me what you did?"

"Well, I quit my job and applied back to school and got into the program of my choice. I was finally somewhat excited. The only downfall is that there are a lot of people there wanting to make small talk and be friends. Not being a social person, I try to put a smile on my face, however, it comes out more like a pained grimace that has most people backing away."

My second task was to try and reconnect with old friends and make new friends. "Which I met a guy who is giving me unwanted attention. My sisters are constantly badgering me if I need the right decision to go back to school and of course there this girl Amy in my classes who has literally stuck herself to my hips. So now instead of friends I have a shadow and a stalker."

"Back up a second. Did you say GUY?"

"No shit Sherlock that is all you got out of my whole tirade."

"It seems this guy is making you emotional. You came in today so riled up, Evie. I believe we are making progress. The last time you were here you were showing grief now you are showing anger."

"The only anger I want to show is to slap that smirk off your face," I mumbled lowly.

"Resorting to violence never helps a situation Ms. Shepard. Now tell me about this guy."

"Why do you keep asking me about everyone around me instead of about me? What if I don't want to tell you about him?"

Rising his hand in surrender he sat back in his chair and just stared at me. How does he do that? I tell myself I refuse to say anything to him then suddenly I am spilling my guts like we are the best of friends.

"My mother would approve. He has a great job, smart, tricky, hand... pleasant to the eyes. We met at the University. He is a guest speaker that occasionally lectures. Even you might know him since my sisters say he is some hot shot real estate developer."

"What's his name?"

"Milo Herrera."

"Hold it! Are we talking about the same Milo Herrera that owns Herrera Engineering."

"Why is everyone so in astonishment with him?"

"I bought a house from their company last year and it was spectacular."

"Next you are going to tell me you paid and arm and a leg for it."

"Indeed, I did. But it was worth every cent. He seemed like a nice enough guy when I met him though."