Chapter Two

Today was the big day. The day I get to meet Dr. Loony Bin. Bailey personally drove me for the appointment. I guess she thought I would run off to the nearest bar instead of the clinic. Here she was sitting beside me patiently waiting for my name to be called. Absolutely no faith, but she was right I would have been in the nearest bar by now. Sipping a whiskey on the rocks. Feeling it velvety smoothness calming my harrowed mind. Instead, I now sat nervously in the waiting room trying to formulate all the possible scenarios to make the time go by without telling the doctor any details about myself. I could stay quiet for the entire hour. He was getting paid regardless. Maybe I could act like I fainted or fake an allergic reaction from the pickled salmon I ate for lunch or have my friend Melanie call me with a emergency.

"I hope you are not contemplating running out of here."

"Why would you think that?"

"I know you Evie. Your mind is probably working a mile a minute to figure out a way out of this appointment."

"Geez you are seriously a witch."

"Ms. Shepard the doctor will see you now," the receptionist stated.

Standing I looked to Bailey pleadingly. "We still have time to make a mad dash for the exit."

"Hush now. Go on, I will be back to get you in an hour. I have a few errands to run while I wait for you."

Dragging my feet into the office I regarded the doctor warily.

"Good Afternoon Dr. Loony Bin," I whispered lowly.

"Hello Ms. Shepard, have a seat. I am Dr. Rodriguez."

Wanting to dislike him was out of the questions. He gave me a genuine smile that lit up his eyes. He was so handsome and much younger than I originally thought. I only picked him because he had gotten amazing reviews online about his work. He was in his mid-thirties with bald head, gorgeous hazel eyes and dimples to match. Taking the seat across from him we surveyed each other. Me cautiously. Him curiously.

"Why would you call me Dr. Loony Bin?" Oops he heard that. Well there was no going back on it.

Smiling sheepishly, I decided not to mince my words. "Let me get straight to the point. I do not want to be here, but sisters are forcing me. I think all you will try to do is diagnose me with some mental disease and ply me with drugs."

"Sorry you feel that way Ms. Shepard but all I am here for is to listen and help you get better. Could you at least tell me why your sisters wanted you to come see me?"

I sat there staring at him for a few minutes not saying anything. Did I really want to tell my problems to a stranger? What could he do or say to make the pain that was eating my soul go away? We sat there in silence for what felt like forever. Regarding my watch I saw that half an hour had passed, without a word to him and he had not pushed the issue.

"Ms. Shepard, I know you don't want to be here but your sisters will keep sending you back until they feel you have progressed with your health."

Great. Low blow bringing my sisters into this conversation especially with the fact that they were covering these sessions for me.

"At least start with something."

Sighing I decided to just get over this hurdle.

"I am here because my mother passed away two years ago and my sisters think I have fallen into deep depression. I drink too much and I am suicidal."

"See was that so hard. Why do they believe you are depressed?"

"Well my guess is that I lock myself in my house all day drinking, not wanting to interact with anyone except for work which I might add is a hassle and I tried killing myself a year ago."