Chapter Seventeen

"Take us to Boulder Park,"  I told Seth.

“Why would she be there,” Seth probed.

“Just go.”

I sat quietly beside Evie in the back seat of the truck. I was still trying to understand her. How could she have hid this confrontation with Sandra from me?  I prided myself in being able to read people. That was how I was able to get where I was in the business I did. However, with her she had me so twisted I did not know up from down. Earlier she had been compliant only because she knew she had been at fault. However, I knew it would not last long. My mom was my number one priority then Evie and Sandra but they were both contradictions. Evie was introverted, unaffectionate but emotional. She wore her emotions on her sleeves for everyone to see. Sandra was pig headed, egotistical and money hungry. She showed her unpleasant side to everyone.
We got to the park quickly as it was only a couple blocks from Evie’s place. It was beautiful at this time of the morning with just the street lights illuminating the benches and the swings. So peaceful and inviting. A place to sit and think without distractions. I am positive this would be where she would be.

“Give me a few minutes will you,” I said as I got out of the truck.

“Do you need me to go with you," Seth asked.

“No, I think it best if I go on my own.”

It was so silent. I was positive I made the right call when I assumed Sandra was here. I decided on the swings because that is where she loved being when we came here as a family when we were younger.

She was exactly where I thought she would be. Sitting at the swings with her head leaning against the chain links. Walking up to her I sat on the swing beside her.

“Why did you come Milo?”

“Hey moppet, because you are my little sister. I love you and would never want to see anything bad happen to you.”

“Don’t call me that silly name.”

“You will always be my moppet,” I smiled at her.

“You remember why I love this park so much,” she said distractedly.

“It was what took us out of poverty and I promised myself I would never go back.” We were so poor we had to be sharing a beds. Two single beds in a cramped room. There were days when we would have only corn tortillas and beans. Going to school was a nightmare. The kids would tease us because of our clothes, shoes and bags were bought at thrift store. Then one day we heard mama crying and daddy saying, “Emily I am going to make this right for you and the kids.”

“Yeah, it was dad's earliest project. He would always bring us here. When he talked to us about it he was brimming with pride. How could I forget? It was also the first time I got my butt whooped for having you fall off the swing even though it was your fault.”

“You pushed me way too high,” she stated.

“At your insistence even though I told you it was dangerous.”

“You know that you boys have never told me no for anything. And tonight when I heard Seth laughing about what Evie told me I felt betrayed. How could anyone take her side? She was a stranger. I was blood. But mama, you and Seth betrayed me. Mama was furious with me for her.  She called me selfish. Someone who only thought of herself.  You scolded me for being a brat and   Seth thought I was correctly put in my place. I was furious. How could things not be going my way?”

I felt terrible. It was true. She had always gotten her way. We turned her into the little monster she was. I sat there listening to her loud sobs.  She needed this. After a few minutes her crying turned into whimpers.
“Do you love her Milo?”