forty-four.

I stood in the medical wing of the compound, my arms crossed as I stared through the glass as I watched Rhodey lying on an MRI machine as it scanned him

I stood in the medical wing of the compound, my arms crossed as I stared through the glass as I watched Rhodey lying on an MRI machine as it scanned him. There was no one in the small dim room except from me and the machine technician who was sitting at a desk to the right of me, staring at the screen as she made sure everything was okay, which it very clearly wasn't.

There was small footsteps as someone stood in the doorway, causing me to turn and look as Tony stood there with his arm in a sling, not looking at me as he stared at Rhodey, making his way into the room with small steps. "How did this even happen?" I asked as I didn't turn to look at him, continuing to stare ahead of me as he did the same, pushing his free hand into his jacket pocket as he let out a deep breath, shaking his head.

"Vision said he was distracted" Tony said to me quietly, causing me to scoff lightly as I shook my head, fighting the urge to roll my eyes. "I wasn't even aware that was possible" I said hastily, clenching my back teeth as I watched my friend leaving the machine, Rhodey angling his head to smile at the two of us as I smiled back at him. "Neither did I" Tony said as I let out a small sigh, looking down at the ground as I turned away from Rhodey, turning my back to the window as Tony looked over at me.

"What are the doctors saying?" I asked Tony, running my hand through my hair quickly as I put my hands in the back pockets of my jeans, staring at the blank wall ahead of me. "Extreme laceration in the spinal cord, probably looking at some form of paralysis" Tony said to me as I let out a deep breath, closing my mouth tightly as I remained silent for a moment, knowing that for someone who was in our field of work that this was an injury you would never recover from.

"I can make him something" Tony said as he looked over at me, causing me to raise my eyebrows as I made eye contact with him, the bruises around his eyes sharp and bold against his normal skin tone. "It won't be the same though, will it?" I asked as Tony didn't answer, his watch beeping as he looked down at it quickly, his injured arm just resting as he clicked around on the tiny screen with his trembling fingers.

"What am I looking at, FRIDAY?" he said out loud, his brow furrowed as I turned around, trying to see what he was looking at as a small projection of a man who looked rather dead shone up from the watch. "Priory upload from Berlin police" FRIDAYs voice said through the quiet room as I knew exactly what I was looking at, closing my eyes as Tony looked over at me quickly before making the picture smaller once again.

"This was the real psychiatrist who was to evaluate Barnes. He was found dead in his Berlin hotel room" FRIDAY started as I nodded my head, knowing exactly where this was going as Tony swipes through the limited amount of pictures that he had. "Where police also found a wig and facial prosthesis approximating the appearance of one James Buchanan Barnes" FRIDAY added as Tony sighed, shaking his head as let out a small breath, this whole thing confirming the fact that Bucky was completely innocent, even though we were too late to do anything about it now.

"The Task Force called for a psychiatrist as soon as Barnes was captured. The UN dispatched Dr. Theo Broussard from Geneva within the hour" FRIDAY said as a picture of a new man popped up, Tony enlarging it as i looked at it, remembering the man from back in Berlin who i had kicked into the concrete wall. "He was met by this man" FRIDAY added as Tony flipped through the pictures which had clearly come from security camera.

"Did you fun facial recognition yet?" Tony asked as a new picture came up, this one a lot clearer which had obviously come from a data frame somewhere. "The fake doctor is actually Colonel Helmut Zemo, Sokovian Intelligence" FRIDAYs voice said as I looked at the pictures, one of this Zeno guy in a combat uniform with a large rifle in his hand.

"Son of a bitch, get this to Ross" Tony said as he closed his eyes, ultimately defeated from this whole ordeal as a beeping noise followed his command. "Yes, Boss" FRIDAY said as Tony looked over at me quickly before looking back at his watch, the pictures disappearing from the air. "And fire up the chopper" Tony added as he looked over at me, his watch turning black once again as he raised his eyebrows at me.

"Do you want to come?" he asked me as I pulled my hands out of my pocket, staring back at him for a moment as I weighed the situation in my head, knowing I wouldn't be able to rest until I knew exactly what was going on. "Of course I do" I replied to him as I turned back to the window, seeing a doctor standing over Rhodey as he held a chart in his hand, explaining something as I looked back over at Tony, who just simply nodded his head at me once.

——

A/N: hey guys here's another chapter for you to keep my promise of a chapter a day
basically I never wrote the scene where Rhodey fell just because I felt as if I was writing about the airport scene for days and i was getting a bit uninspired so please don't hate me
please vote and comment and STAY HOME and I will see you soon

A/N: hey guys here's another chapter for you to keep my promise of a chapter a day basically I never wrote the scene where Rhodey fell just because I felt as if I was writing about the airport scene for days and i was getting a bit uninspired so p...