Part 9

When I said my journey to being a musician would be a bumpy ride, I didn't mean a complete downward spiral! That entire accident might only be the surface of the many things I don't know about Rose or May. Despite both being jerks, those two being friends doesn't make much sense to me, considering May admitted to being a nuisance to students. I told her that I knew her since primary school, but 'knowing' her is a huge overstatement. Her only involvement with me during my childhood would be her constant subtle glares. She's always sort of intimidated me. Finding out that she was a demon made me question things like if she was even 20 as she admitted, and why she would bother trying to age along with humans. Only Rose could tell us, but before I could ask, things only got worse from there.

I guess demons still need to use cellphones as one easy way to ruin lives through social media if that phone even belonged to May in the first place. That Sunday morning, it was charging on the outlet by where she places her guitar when it suddenly buzzed. It was a notification of a direct message from Giovany of all people. Not a common name for this area, might I add. I had to stop myself at the sight of his name out of shock from their interacting, fear of my punishment and guilt for being nosy. Then I jumped to the conclusion that perhaps May was who Giovany was cheating on Rose for and she turned down the sleepover for him. What was I to do with such information if that was true? I would rather believe that Giovany was just contacting her to cease an evil antic that she was doing to him, but I had too much of a bad feeling about this. Then Rose walked over and frankly relieved my suspicion.

"Don't tell May," she whispered to me. At least I didn't get my hands dirty, but who knows how many times she snooped into people's phone notifications?

She turned her phone on and read the notification that had an attached image, presumably of a meme. Her smile immediately dropped as she read to herself what do you think of this one, love? Then she froze. I've seen her absolutely livid at times, but not to the extent of her tensing up and hiding her face behind her clenched hand as she did. She could hardly speak.

"Do you know what this means, No-Eyes?" she laughed.

"That Giovany is also a demon?" I played dumb.

"It means that she is so DEAD!" she screamed and then stormed over with the phone in her hand to May who was in the kitchen digging for food as usual.

Sam and Nick were lounging on the couch minding their own business, but their attention was drawn towards the infuriated Rose. May tried not to show her smile.

"Is something wrong, hon?" May smirked.

"This is the thanks I get for starting this band?" Rose fumed, pointing at the notification. "You slut!"

"Were you expecting things to go perfectly?" she turned around. "Look at who you're dealing with here. You think you're so special having me around. I'm a demon, you twit! You were just asking for that consequence. Sure, I would lead you to greatness, but I always get what I want in the end. To make the tempted miserable. Isn't it cute watching humans crumble?"

"You have some nerve humiliating me like that."

"Try to stop me. I can see your pride breaking."

Sam and I stared in horror, but Nick wanted to step up.

"May, you're fired!" he shouted, but as soon as they made eye contact, he quickly ducked out of her view. Dude, really? I thought.

"Fired from my band?" she laughed. "So be it. Later, idiots. Good luck with your performance."

With her hands behind her head, she leaned back, faded into a violet mist and sped through the front door maniacally laughing, out of sight and leaving her few possessions behind. Rose only stood at the same spot, so Nick walked towards her with concern.