Part 4

Amy glided through the walls to hide and Sam threw a blanket over her head. I only stood there dazed by their speed before Sam's step-mother could see them. She paused and looked confused. I had to quickly improvise.

"Er, what's going on?" she inquired.

"Oh, this? I'm-er-giving her a make-over?" I answered uncertainly.

"Oh. You'll get a make-over yourself afterwards? She asked.

"No," I replied.

"Yes," Sam replied in unison.

Through the blanket, I could see her smug little face. She knows darn well that I hate make-up and dresses, so I shot a dirty look at her.

"Goodie! I'll get the camera when you two are ready!"

"Actually, I'm not-"

"And it's Sammy's first sleep-over, so it's a must! I mean, you two seem a bit old for those, but at least you finally gave it a try. I hope you didn't give her lipstick yet because I don't want the food to go to waste."

"No worries. I was just getting to that. I only hid her face so you couldn't see an unfinished product. See you later! Thanks for dinner!"

As soon as she walked away, I thought to myself why am I the worst at lying? Now I'm going to look ridiculous all because I couldn't come up with anything better to say. At least Sam would be happy and she'll have someone to be girly with that's around her age. The door was shut so Amy slowly emerged from the wall with relief.

"You ladies in the mood for a romantic comedy?" she asked.

"I not much of a romantic. I'm more into action or horror films." I answered.

"Romantic comedies are all I have, though!" Sam rebutted. "You liking action and horror probably explains why you're so tense, along with the fact that you didn't have any feminine people in your life to teach you how to comprehend the wonders that are romantic comedies. It's not really a bad thing, but you're looking at a love expert that could save you from abhorring all the things your family didn't expose you to."

"Wow, you're girly," I sighed. "That could be why I'm like this, but I'm a tomboy at heart. Those movies are actually relaxing to me possibly as a result of my crazy family desensitising them. I feel like you're trying to avoid those movies so you don't get worked up."

"... You got me. I'm super sensitive... Oh! I realised we have the movie Aliens vs. Zombies. It'll be something we both could watch."

"That sounds unprofessional and childish... Let's watch it."

The three of us raced to play the movie with excitement. Sam and I ate the corned beef hash Sam's step-mother prepared as it rolled, but I felt somewhat guilty for eating in front of a ghost that couldn't eat although she didn't seem to mind. The movie was as cheap and silly as I thought, but still fun to watch. For the twenty years of life I had, the type of fun I had was particularly lighthearted and special compared to the fun I had with my parents, especially because I didn't have many good experiences hanging out with other girls. Could it be that I conquered stress? That's what I thought before the mother and daughter partners in crime decided it would be a good idea for the make-up to be done mid-movie. I wasn't even stressed. I was just hoping they would forget.

I sat on a stool trying to watch the movie as they picked out eyeliners and whatever people put on their face. They took off my overshirt to leave me with just my white undershirt and I already knew that this will be really uncomfortable for me. My hair was extraordinarily long, but Amy managed to make a decent braid. I never expected a ghost to ever do this in my life but it's best to expect the unexpected. I was surprised at how smooth the process went and I could see the movie fine, but as she gave me a mirror, I couldn't bear to look at my well-done yet still terrifying face. Yes, I'm used to seeing my eyeless-looking self the few times I look into a mirror and there are the occasional times where I make eye contact with my father, but the make-up consisting of shades of oranges and some reds emphasised how disgusting I'm capable of looking. My unsettled state was disguised with a reassuring smile for Sam who had just done someone else's makeup for the first time.