Chapter 7 - Emotions, Suspicions And A Dead Party

Start from the beginning

Hermione got closer to him, it wasn't surprising that he didn't notice her presence. He was too lost in the sounds of music and thoughts plaguing his mind as the song cried out to him, to even hear her footsteps... but her voice proved otherwise.

"Oh why there's no comprehending
And who am I to try to
Judge or explain
Oh, but I do have one
Burning question
Who told you life wasn't
Worth the fight?

She whispered them at first, but as she neared she raised her voice louder. The lyrics to the song that she knew, it caused Y/N to immediately open his eyes and fast, his gaze snapping onto that of Hermione's, his fingers still stuck to the strings.

As the song progressed, his emotions got the better of him, slow tears began to fall down his cheeks. Hermione walked over, slowly at first quickened as she reached and sat down besides the boy. His eyes still wide open, observing the girl before him. Y/N continued the song, his fingers drumming against the guitar strings.

They both sang it together, his deeper and her sweeter voice matching the rhythms as the song continued in a wave of pure bliss.

They were wrong, they lied
And now you're gone and we cried
Cause It's not like you to
Walk away
In the middle of a song

Your beautiful song
Your absolutely beautiful song...

The song soon ended as Y/N took his hands off the guitar and laid it against a nearby bed which seemed to belong to Ron.

He took a deep breath and exhaled softly, rubbing his eyes free of tears. He turned over to his right and saw Hermione sat next to him, shoulders almost touching.

Her expression was hard to read, anyone would think it was neutral but Y/N saw it as a sign that she was in deep thought. So he decided to break it.

"I've never felt so devastated." Y/N whispered, his gaze looking at the floor, his hands placed atop his lap. "Just when I thought my life couldn't get any worse, it undoubtedly does." He chuckled, but not that of amusement but rather bitterness, Hermione didn't say a word, she just listened to what he had to say and Y/N was alright with that.

"The first time I remember my dad leaving..." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes shut, before opening them moments later. "I told myself that he would be back, and of course he came back like I expected." Hermione sat there, her eyes pinned on him. "And then he left again, and again and again.... Then after the seventh time I began to ask myself, "Is it my fault? Am I reason that he keeps leaving me behind to suffer my own thoughts?"

The bitterness in his tone of voice had not left him yet, the ire still strong. "After that time I stopped asking him when he would return, I just decided to accept that it was normal, that he had his job, his own life. And I accepted that." Y/N turned to face Hermione, nodding at her slowly as if trying to get a reaction from her. It was the first time for Hermione that she heard this, she had no idea previously.

"Then I learned about the magic world and what my father did for a living and then the bad thoughts came back, the questions that plagued my daily life." The bitterness left, and all that remained was pain, pain and terrible heartache. "I told myself, "there's no way that it took him so much time away from me to file out reports, to conduct whatever the ministry had him doing." But what did I know? I was just "The boy who had no one." So what? What was wrong with spending months away from your son, coming back, and then another time somewhere else..." His eyes turned back down, staring at the carpet beneath him.

"Then I met my grandparents for the first time, I was seven. I was over joyed, some real family to relate with, to connect with and to share my every thoughts with and so then I never felt so out of touched as I was before, but still... somewhere in the back of my mind those thoughts still kept coming, waiting for me to stumble and fall into vulnerability again."