"I hate you," I grumble, "You know, that right?"

"Shut up, you love me." We share a silent conversation before walking inside.

The inside of the studio looked nothing like it had for other performances. Candles and In Utero style flowers surround the small stage area, giving off the normal Nirvana-esque persona. Shelli and I stand side by side in the back of the small venue, watching as the band bickers between one another on the stage.

Kurt was pissed about the way the drums sounded and Dave was taking his comments a little too personal as Pat and Krist watched from their respective corners of the stage. From what we had seen so far, this set was going to be a complete disaster. The band doesn't do acoustic sets; they're known for being loud, especially Dave, so this is out of the small comfort zone that had been created in 1991.

"Fuck it, I'm done." My eyes widen at the drummer's words, watching as Dave pushed over his high hat, lit a cigarette, and stomped off the stage in frustration.

Krist watched Dave leave, a mixture of pity and worry on the man's face as he turned back to his best friend. "Kurt, come on man..."

The singer stays silent though, ignoring Krist's comment and lighting his own cigarette.

"I'll go get him..." I turn to Shelli, silently begging her to take Rhys from me. "Could you?"

"Gladly. Go take care of drummer boy."

-------

"Dave?" My voice is soft as I open the door to the back alley. My heart skips a beat when I spot the boy, back pressed against the brick wall of the building behind Sony Studios. His cigarette had burned almost to the filter by now, ashes just waiting to be flicked off as he stares at me blankly. "You need to go back out there."

The long-haired boy scowls at my words, shaking his head before stomping on what was left of his cig. "You're not my mother Rosemary."

"Yeah," I clear my throat before stepping out of the doorway, "But I am your fiancé." My words and strong stance are challenging as I stare Dave down. "I'm not going anywhere until you get back in there David."

He scoffs, glaring up at me through his eyelashes. "Really? Because running sure seems like your specialty lately."

"I'm not doing this right now Dave, there's more important things to deal with-"

"If not now, then when Rosemary? We're never in the same room long enough to actually talk to one another." He pushes himself off the wall, stepping forward so we're only about a foot apart. "I feel like I don't know who you are anymore!"

I place my hand over my heart, feigning shock. "You don't know who I am? When the hell did you start almost punching the person, you're supposed to love David, because that is not who I remember you being."

"You sit around playing house with Kurt all the time and don't expect me to get pissed off? I've mentioned multiple times that I want us to get married and try to start a family, but you just keep pushing it aside Rose." He'd started talking with his hands by now, exasperated motions telling me just how bad things had gotten. "On top of it, I don't even know if I'm going to have a job after the In Utero tour ends. One second Kurt is my best friend and the next he wants me gone. I can't take it."

I'm speechless by the time he finishes his rant, mouth agape as I stare. He's been in as much pain over everything as I have, just for different reasons. It's no wonder why he lost is cool in Minnesota; he wanted to fix things then, but of course I gave Kurt my attention before him.

"You remember that rooftop? The one in Chicago."

"Of course, I do Dave." A wave of confusion washes over me as I stare up at him. "What does that have-"

"It seems like it was decades ago that we were best friends kissing for the first time on that rooftop." A hand brushes through his long hair before he continues, "So much has changed. We've changed."

He's not wrong. More has happened in the three years since we moved to Seattle than our entire time back in Alexandria. "That's what happens when you get older."

His brown eyes soften when they lock with my blue ones, "Rose... Are we going to make it through this?"

"I-" My head shakes as I break our eye contact, "Dave I really don't know, but until you go back inside, we won't be able to find out. They need you."

He sighs, obviously frustrated with my vague answer. "Okay. Come on."

-------

The dressing room is void of people as Shelli and I walk in with Rhys and Frances as soon as the live performance ends. The set went surprisingly well other than a few instances of frustration, one in particular being Kurt's decision to play Pennyroyal Tea alone.

It wasn't planned to be that way originally, so when the singer asked, 'Am I gonna do this by myself?' Dave instantly responded, 'Do it by yourself," not wanting to cause any more issues.

"What did you think of that Reese? Everything you expected it to be?" I ask the tired boy before paying him down on a nearby couch.

A large grin appears as he nods, "It was awesome! I want to do that one day."

Shelli snickers, knowing good and well from the few hours she's spent with the boy that once his mind is set, he won't stop until it happens.

"We'll talk about this again when you're older little one." I run my fingers though his hair, watching as his eyes begin to droop a bit. "For now, let's leave the rock star lifestyle to the professionals."

Soon enough, the boy was knocked out, face flat against a pillow with his arm hanging over the side of the couch. "Well, that's going to be a fun conversation with your mom. Out here raising another up and coming delinquent."

"Oh, I'm not that bad." Shelli didn't have time to add another clever quip due to the band strolling in, each with giddy smiles on their faces which surprised me.

Krist didn't give me time to reach before wrapping his arms around my waist and lifting me off the ground. "Rose Pedal! I've missed you. When the hell did you cut your hair off?"

"Krist! Put me down you tree!" My tone was one of humor, having missed the bassist and his antics more than anything in the last ten months. When my fee hit the ground, I brush a few loose strands out of my face before answering his question. "It happened a few weeks ago. My hair was getting unrulily and I wanted a change, so here I am."

Before saying anything, Kurt immediately takes Frances from Shelli's tired arms. Sometime during the set Courtney asked her to watch their daughter, and next thing we knew she disappeared. "Of course, she's off getting high now," While the words weren't meant to be heard, I know everyone heard him. "So, how'd your brother like the set?"

"Loved it," I shake my head, "He wants to be like you now. Specifically, Dave." The drummer's eyes widen at my words, obviously expecting me to tell the group that Rhys wants to be like Kurt. "He thinks the drums are 'so cool'." I use my fingers as air quotes before chuckling.

"Well, I wouldn't mind giving him lessons sometime." Dave shrugs, obviously hoping that this would be the door to fixing our relationship. "Only the cool kids want to be drummers."

I scoff at the man, "If that's so, then why are you one?"

Dave laughs at my response and Shelli smiles from her spot tucked into Krist's side, mouthing 'thank you'.

-----

Sooooo

What if I said that there are only 4/5 chapters left?

Not of Rose and Daves storyline, but of Part II?

I'm so sad because I'm so invested in the Nirvana era characters...