It Started With A Love Letter (20)

Chapter Twenty

Staring at my reflection in my full length mirror I swept my hands over the leather pants I was wearing before turning to look at Gabby. Giving her a smile I suddenly hugged her before turning back to the mirror and admiring my reflection once more.
“Thanks Gabby. You managed to outdo yourself this time.” I told her.

“I know, I know, I’m awesome.” She said with a flip of her nonexistent long hair causing me to roll my eyes. Her phone dinged drawing her attention to it. I watched as a smile lit up her face and I instantly knew it was from Trey.

“Is that Trey?” I asked even if I already knew the answer.

“Yeah, he’s outside.” She said with her eyes still on the phone. “I have to leave now but we’ll see each other at the party, Ok?” She asked and I nodded in response.

“Sure.” I said as she began to gather her things.

“Bye Riele.” She said as she opened the door before walking out of my room. I gave a weak wave in response as I watched her leave. Looking at my reflection in the mirror, the anxiety and nervousness began to form a ball in my stomach.

What if something went horribly wrong?

I could feel the urge to vomit increasing but before I had the time or opportunity to back out and look for an excuse not to go, the doorbell rang and a squeal escaped my throat. Wiping my hands on my pants to get rid of the sweat, I glanced at the window wondering if I should pull a Lara Jean by jumping out the window. My thoughts were cut short when my phone started ringing. With shaking hands, I struggled to pick up the phone before answering the call.
“Hey Elle, I’m outside.” Letting out a barely audible ‘OK’, I cut the call before dropping the phone. Wiping my sweaty palms on my pants again, I took a deep breath to try and calm my nerves. Once I was somewhat calm I picked up the jacket that went with the outfit before getting my purse so I could put my phone, money and keys. Taking another breath, I began walking carefully so as not to trip in my red stilettos. After I managed to make it safely downstairs, I met my mom and Forrest talking. I raised a brow at Forrest’s choice of costume.
“OK mom, we have to go now. You guys can talk tomorrow.” I said looping my hands through Forrest’s and began dragging him towards the front door.

“Goodbye Forrest, we’ll talk tomorrow. You kids make sure to be safe and have fun.” My mother said as she followed us.

“Bye mom.” I said before the door slammed shut behind us. I let go of Forrest before giving him a questioning look but before I could ask spoke.

“Gabby gave me the idea.” He said simply and I nodded.

“That explains it.” I said as I assessed him further. He was dressed in black trousers and a plain white shirt with a black jacket over it as Danny from ‘Grease’.

“You look cute as a blonde.” He commented and my hand immediately flew to the blonde wig I was wearing. I could feel a blush rising on my cheeks and I ducked my head to hide it.

“Thanks.” I muttered staring at my red shoes which went with the black off-the-shoulder crop top and black leather pants. With the blonde wig and leather jacket, I was dressed as Sandy from ‘Grease’. 

“We match.” He said and I nodded, noticing just how close we stood. So close, I could smell the soap he used.

“I noticed.” A short silence followed my reply and we just stared at each other. The way he looked at me, I could almost swear he wanted to kiss me but before I could think twice he blinked and took a step backwards. I released the breath I didn’t even know I was holding.
“Come on, let’s go.” He said taking my hand and we began walking towards the car.