protect me 13

Jessica's POV

The darkness pulled me back to the same place. Birds were now chirping everywhere and the colours of the flowers were brighter than before.

Suddenly, the clouds parted and a bright flash of light shone onto me. My eyes were going to go blind by it and I used my hands to block it. Just like how it suddenly came, the bright light was gone and I was able to see again but this time round, when I opened my eyes, I saw a figure hovering over with a spotlight. The figure removed the spotlight from my sight and I saw an unfamiliar face in fronf of me. "Hi Jessica, I am your appointed doctor, Dr Andrews."

The man smiled warmly and said. He asked me a series of questions such as my full name, my school, the date. Apparently, I answered everything correctly as I could see from the way he smiled. "Alright, you must be tired from answering so many questions. Have a good rest and I will come later to check on your condition again." He left after scribbling something on a sheet of paper which was located at the end of the bed.

I let out a small shriek as I did not notice Ethan sitting on the couch located at the wall until the doctor left. He looked tired as there were dark circles under his eyes and his hair was tousled. "Are you feeling okay?" he let out a small smile. I nodded shyly and he proceeded on with his asking. "Do you remember anything?" All the memories came rushing back at me as I remembered Aunt Mary strangling me. I whimpered at that memory and Ethan was by my side at no time. He was holding onto my hand gently and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Where is my aunt?" "She is under probation." He replied with fury in his eyes. "Why is she under probation? It was all my fault as I have angered her. Please help me remove all the charges on her! Please, Ethan!" I cried out. "She should not have hit you! What did you do wrong to deserve such a beating?! This is abuse!" Ethan roared out. I shrinked back at his outburst and he saw it. "I will not lay my hand on you, Jessica no matter how angry I am." His eyes softened down but he was still angry from the way he clenched his hands. "You must testify against your aunt, Jessica. You are not going to suffer from any abuse under my care." He said calmly. "No...." I whimpered in reply and looked at him, teary-eyed. "Even if you do not want, I have evidence of her corrupted ways as well. I have asked my father to check on her and we realised that she has been taking sums of money from the company." He said firmly. I begged him to let the matter go but he was bent on seeing my aunt received her due punishment.

I felt helpless and useless for not being able to help my aunt. Although she abused me, she did raise me up over these years. If she has not adopted me, I might have died in the orphanage. Ethan wanted none of these explanations and said "You might be better off in orphanage."

At that moment, Ryan came in and he said he wanted some alone time with me. Ethan glared at him but he did leave the room. "How are you feeling?" he asked gently. I nodded and said "So you know all about it?" He nodded and replied "I will support you no matter what your decision is."

I still chose not to testify against her but with the evidence of her corruption, she was given a twenty years jail sentence. When I knew it, I could not help but felt sad.

I should have make sure Ethan left before I entered my house that day. If I had, Ethan would not have find out. Ethan somehow knew this thought of mine and he told me "Even if I have not found out that way, I was already planning to check how you got your bruises anyway."

After staying in the hospital for almost two weeks, I was discharged but the house was confiscated due to Aunt's corruption. I was planning to go to the orphanage but Ethan refused and insisted me to stay with him and his parents. "I cannot owe you anymore, Ethan. Your father has already helped me pay my medical bills." I said embarrassingly. "We do not mind and you are going to be married to me anyway." He replied amusingly. Without waiting for my other explanations, he drove me off to his house.

His parents were welcoming and they cooed over me, especially his mum. "You are prettier than in the photo that your aunt has given to us." His mum complimented. I blushed and hung my head down shyly. "Mum....!" Ethan whined and his father chuckled.

******************

Ethan's POV

Jessica was able to go back to school the following Monday. My mum has brought her some clothes that were conservative which suits Jessica's style. I still could not get over the fact that she was staying in my house and I got to see her everyday. For the few days in my house, she was eating well and I was elated over that fact. She was way too skinny for my liking before. I have also tried to get her to talk about her past but she refused. She might have feared that I will press more charges on her aunt. However, that was not my intention. I was trying to get her to open up to me so that she would not seem to be so afraid all the time and watched her back everytime as though her aunt was going to pounce on her. I could only be patient with her and my parents seemed to be pleased with recently. "You have matured a lot, son." My father complimented me. I was not used to my father complimenting me so I could only nod with a embarrassed face.

Jessica and I went to school together in my car. Initially she was reluctant due to her considering that I might not want to be seen with her. I was beyond shocked to know this impression of me on her and hugged her. She stiffened for a moment but relaxed when I stroked her back. I pulled myself away from her but kept my hands on her arms. "My love, I have fallen for you the first time I saw you."