Chapter Two: The Past and the Present

A/N: Art by @theintrovertedcookie Thank you so much!!!

Germany's POV

I can't wait for school to start! My friends may call me a nerd from time to time, but to be honest, it's true! I just love learning new things, and studying, and research. It's just so fun for me! There's only one thing I hate about school, and that's bullies. No matter where I go, there's always someone who picks on me for being a bookworm, or wearing glasses. I hope there aren't any bullies in Pangaea Academy, that would suck. I mean, it could be worse, I could be completely friendless, like I was when I was 7, before I met Poland and the others. I stare out the window, reminiscing as we trundled off to the brand-new school.

I remember that day being...

Flashback

...A cloudy, drizzly day, not cold enough to need to wear a coat, but cold so that a jacket would not suffice. I pressed my face up against the glass, staring out into the school's playground. The teacher's had deemed it to be inside recess today, and though I often just stayed inside and read anyway, not having any friends to play with, today I was unsatisfied with reading. The classroom was rowdy and loud, for the teacher had left to do what ever it was that teacher's do in the teacher's lounge. I turned around and looked around the room from my seat at my desk. Kids were throwing paper airplanes and chasing each other around the room screaming. One particular kid caught my attention. His flag was white on the top, and red on the bottom. It looked like he was crying, his eyes squeezed shut, undoubtedly to keep tears in as he mumbled under his breath.

I don't know why, but I was sad. The pretty boy should not cry! Though I was very shy and introverted, I decided right there to go over there, and be his friend. I stood up, a determined expression on my young face, when all of a sudden...

...His head snapped upright.

My eyes widened in confusion. Wasn't he sad before? Now he was grinning from ear to ear, yelling something about finding someone, and tearing off around the room, searching for som-

Oh.

He wasn't lonely, or sad.

He was playing hide-and-go-seek with his friends.

Friends.

I wish I had friends.

I felt foolish and sad. What am I doing? I can't make friends! I'm just an unloved little nerd, a freak whose only power is to hide away from other countries. I should just sit down and go back to doing the only thing I'm good for. Being an invisible nobody.

I sat down, but fell hard, raucous laughter filling my ears. Eyes stinging with unshed tears, I looked up at the source of the crow-like laughter.

Oh no.

It's THEM.

The bullies who were responsible for making my life practically hell. The leader leaned down and narrowed his eyes at me.

"Hey freak, didja have a nice TRIP?"

He straightened back up and laughed harder with his friends. I wanted to sink into the floor and die from humiliation.