March 9 2020- Flag Ceremony

Monday.

Another day of school and the start of the last quarter (semester) of the school year.

Great!

Periodical or Quarter Exams just ended last week. So I spent the majority of my weekend contemplating on my most likely failed Filipino exam. I guessed a lot of questions in that test. Oh yeah! I also had a competition last Saturday in English though no result yet.

My parents dropped me off at the drop-off area inside the school. After a personnel checked the temperature of my parents, they drove off, about to drop my sister off in another campus— same school of course. Carrying my black and green Anello bag, I walked to the right staircase and went up on floor. As a Grade 8 star section student, my classroom was right beside it.

I walked in just as the bell rang. Nobody was there except for my adviser Mr. Marvo, who was also my Science teacher. I knew that my classmates were already downstairs for the flag ceremony (Flag ceremonies happen every Monday) since I saw them going down on my way up.

" How was your extended weekend Erika?" Mr. Marvo asked me as I placed down my bag on my blue chair in the front row. " It was fine Sir!" I replied enthusiastically. I didn't go to school last Friday because it was examination day for English and Math. I was exempted for both of those test because all of my grades were 96 and above. In my school, if your grades in a certain major subject is consecutively 96 and above, you will be exempted in the quarter exam for that subect (except for first quarter).

"What did you do?" Sir asked when he realized that I wasn't planning to say any more details. "Oh, I only studied," I said. When I saw Sir's confused face, I added, " I had a competition last weekend on English." 

I didn't have anything more to say so I went down and joined my classmates who were already in line— the girls in front and the boys behind. Mr. Marvo followed behind me. As I stood in my place in the line, which was between my best friend Natalie and my used to be best friend Julie, I watched as other class went to their respective place around the Philippine flag. We waited until the second bell rang, which marked the start of the flag ceremony.

"Good morning. Thank God for another week in school," Sir Baton's voice was heard across the entire school, which was not that being big. Sir Baton was my CE (Christian Education) teacher, and he was in charge of the flag ceremony. " Today, we will start with an bible verse to be led by Liliana Jones of Grade 8 Righteous, followed by an opening prayer to be led by Harry Lee of Grade 9 Noble. "

The voice changed in a feminine one— probably the voice of Liliana Jones. "Our Bible Verse for today is from the book of Psalm chapter...." And she said the Bible Verse before passing the mic to Harry Lee who recited a short prayer.

The Bible Verse and Prayer was followed by the national anthem. We all placed our right hands on our own respective chests as we sang "Lupang Hinirang" the Philippines national anthem with pride and unison.

LUPANG HINIRANG

Bayang magiliw,

Perlas ng silanganan,

Alab ng puso

Sa dibdib mo'y buhay.

Lupang hinirang,

Duyan ka ng magiting,

Sa manlulupig

Di ka pasisiil.

Sa dagat at bundok,

Sa simoy at sa langit mong bughaw,

May dilag ang tula

At awit sa paglayang minamahal.

Ang kislap ng watawat mo'y

Tagumpay na nagniningning;

Ang bituin at araw niya,

Kailan pa ma'y di magdidilim.

Lupa ng araw, ng luwalhati't pagsinta,

Buhay ay langit sa piling mo;

Aming ligaya na 'pag may mang-aapi,

Ang mamatay nang dahil sa iyo.

After that, we sang our school song— the English Version. The Chinese version of the song was only to be sung during the first flag ceremony of the month.

When we sang the last words of the school song, we heard Mr.Baton say, "I will now read the special morning message." I tried to stifle a groan because usually this will go on and on and on. The speaker of our school wasn't that good, so that meant that the words that Mr.Baton's words wouldn't really be heard clearly.

Everyone, except probably the personnel, pretended to listen and when the message was finally over, the bell rang again. This was the signal for everyone to go to their respective classrooms. My classmates and I waited for three class to go back to their classrooms before heading to our own.

And that's where our flag ceremony ended.