Chapter Fifty

EMMA

The first thing I did was google how long it typically takes to perform a c-section, which is apparently forty-five minutes.

So I had approximately forty-five minutes of my brain going haywire, thinking of everything that could go wrong. Millie could die. The baby could die. They both could die.

It was all awful things, and the only thing that was keeping me somewhat sane was Harry. He had not left my side once. Always made sure some part of him was touching me, knowing that it calmed me down. I couldn't imagine this happening yesterday when Harry was nowhere near me. I don't think I could've survived that, another panic attack surely would've overcame me.

Right now, I was sitting in a chair, knees being hugged to my chest. My head rested on his shoulder, his arm around my body to keep me tucked into his side. Every few minutes he would tell me everything was going to be okay, and let me know how much time should be left.

Forty-five minutes.

It felt more like forty-five hours. The clicking of the clock on the wall becoming louder and louder as we waited. But I didn't feel the uncomfortable pressure I had the day previous, my emotions and anxiety in check. I looked over at Harry to see how he was handling this.

He turned his head to meet my eyes, tenderness emanating from him. He was holding himself together, as well. Maybe the stress of what happened to his sister had given him the strength to deal with this. He didn't know Millie all that well, but he had always taken care of her in a way. Also with how much she meant to me, I wouldn't be surprised if his anxiety was skyrocketing for me. But he was calm, watching over me the entire time.

Still gazing into my eyes, his hand tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear, "She's going to be okay, angel."

"What about the baby?" I ask weakly.

"That baby is strong as hell. It's-"

"She."

He smiles at me, "She is going to come into this world and grab it by the balls."

I breathe out a laugh, "She is going to be strong."

"Just like her mother and godmother."

I had told Harry one night over the phone that Millie had made me godmother to her child, and spent the next twenty minutes gushing about how much I loved babies. I remember him not saying a word the entire time, but soft chuckles finding their way to my eardrums. His voice afterwards could be heard with a smile.

"And just remember that no matter what, I will be right here. I will love you and hold you the entire time." He tells me, hand taking hold of my chin.

He tilts it up, pecking my lips. I smile, and say softly, "I love you."

"I love you."

Twenty minutes later, a doctor comes in, walking straight towards us. I recognize her from the day before, Millie's OBGYN.

"Mrs. Everly." She greets, looking at Harry, "You must be Mr. Everly."

Even with all the nerves, I couldn't hold back my smile. I glanced at Harry, who chuckled and shrugged, "Yes."

I shake my head, but turn my attention back to the doctor. "Good news for you today. C-section - although it was forced upon us - went really well. The baby is super healthy, a little on the small side, but all her organs are working well, and her lungs are developed enough to breathe on their own. We'll have to keep an eye on her, but I'm very hopeful that she'll be ready to go home with her mom in a few days."