Chapter Six

Chapter six

Jack

"We can have Cussman or Bradtz, out of the names you mentioned they are the only ones anyone is willing to part with." Green said like it was terrible to be regulated to just those two.

We went over the positives and the negatives till we were blue in the face, and if they wanted to make a decision they would have to make it. I was going to be late for practice.

"Gentleman and ladies, I need to get down to practice. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm happy to help, really, but I don't want coach mad at me." I said standing up.

"Crabb, not a word about this. We may have to part with someone to pull this off."

"Of course sir, I understand." I did understand. I had been traded enough to know that. I would feel bad for whoever it was but sometimes guys were looking to move.

I hurried through changing but was still the last one on the ice. Coach called me out before I made it to the team huddle. "Crabb, you're a minute late, don't let it happen again."

"No sir," I said smiling. I was smiling because he didn't fine me or make me do extra sprints. Scoring a goal must have helped my standing in his eye. I wondered what they would do. Tomorrow we had another game and I was sure the shit would hit the fan before then. The main squads were coming up on the trade deadline so things needed to happen.

We finished practice and all of a sudden Coach yelled out Lars, Crabb, my office. Son of a bitch they traded me after they said they wouldn't. I felt like such an ass for helping them. I was halfway to the lockerroom when I thought about it. No one could stop me and Maddie now. Hell, a trade sounded good. I'll keep the apartment and come back in the off season and see if we can pick back up. I was actually smiling as the two of us headed to the coach's office.

"Why are you happy?" Lars asked like he was pissed he was being traded.

"To be honest I'm kind of getting used to it at this point. Besides, I have this girl, and being here is making it real hard to be with her." I said flushing a bit.

He actually laughed. It may have been the first laugh I had actually heard from him since being here. It was a hardy laugh, and from a defenseman, well you know what I mean.

Then he slapped me on the back. "Someday I hope to be as happy as you."

"The day isn't over yet." I said smiling back at him.

Then we reached the open conference room door and walked inside.

"Jack, would you mind closing the door." Mr. Green said as we came in. There were the same faces I had seen last time and a couple others. Coach Lumm was there along with his assistant, and another woman I had never seen before.

"Gentlemen, have a seat." Mr. Green said indicating the two at the far end of the table from him. I smiled. I wasn't going to attack the man across a boardroom. I get traded; I get traded, no big deal at this point. I get dropped, I chase after Maddie. I was actually happy for once in my life and it wasn't about hockey.

"Well it's that time of year. Two weeks to the trade deadline and teams are calling and we are calling them. We have told all the organizations that we are willing to trade anyone, for the right price, and while it pains me to say this, all the interest is in you Lars."

"A lot of teams are interested in that big defenseman that can help them down the stretch. When I say we had lots of calls, I mean lots of calls. I put Miss. Maddison on this to get the best return for you and you might want to hear what she has to say."