Chapter Twenty-two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Jack

Alright Wegmans is a big grocery store. I was in a hurry though, so for once, the size was working against me. I needed that ice cream. I had to be there before Haley went in and five was approaching fast.

As I ran through the store, literally, I saw swarms of "we are Buffalo" shirts and my mood was immediately lightened. I didn't know if all these people were going to the game later, but, it was wonderful to see the city unity.

"Over here," a cashier called to me and I ran to the checkout. I normally wasn't the person to do something like that, but I wanted to have some time with Haley before the procedure.

The cashier had just opened up and I was grateful of my good fortune. We were running a little late because Mr. Green had called Maddie and needed the latest prospect files before we came over, so we had stopped to do that. Then once we were back on the road he called again and said he needed some more stuff.

If the man wasn't such a good boss I would have told him to shove it. I had planned on spending all day with Haley, but now it was getting closer and closer to her procedure time. I had called her Mom, and she said Haley was in good spirits and was looking forward to seeing us both, so I ran through a grocery store with a tub of ice cream wrapped in my arms.

"Thank you for opening," I said skidding to a stop.

"No problem," she said taking the ice cream and scanning it, "eight ninety-five please."

I handed her a ten, and waited for my change. "Aren't you Jack Crabb?"

Crap, I didn't have time for a hockey fan. "I am," I said waiting for the whole can I have your autograph question. I usually wasn't like this, but I had Haley on my mind, and Mr. Green had set us way back.

"How is Haley doing," the cashier asked me.

Holy shit. "She is doing pretty well. In fact her last treatment is today, so that is who the ice cream is for. We are going to have an ice cream party." I said actually smiling at the thought.

"Tell her everyone at Wegmans is with her." She said handing me my change.

"I will, and thank you." I said smiling and hurrying away. I did here some words as I was leaving and I could have sworn the words were "no, thank you Jack."

We got to the hospital and we only had a little while to spare. I was so mad at Mr. Green that I could have screamed. Maddie kept me calm, but I was still mad. We got into the room and Haley was sitting up in a chair, with her Mom and her Dad, beside her. She was smiling. Oh bless her little heart.

"Maddie, Jack," she screamed when she saw us. She held her arms out to Maddie. I guess I should get used to being second fiddle. If we ever had children of our own, it would probably be the same way. Holy crap, I was thinking about children, ok maybe a little early for that.

I shook her dad's hand and then I gave a polite hug to her mom. I needed to do something with this ice cream until after the procedure.

"Jack, you remembered the ice cream." Haley was so excited.

"Of course I did princess, how are you feeling? Ready for this to be over?" I said walking over and gingerly hugging her.

"I am," she said with a smile.

"That a girl. Let me put this ice cream somewhere, so it doesn't melt." I said getting ready to go find a nurse.

"We can eat it now," she said and I knew she couldn't.