Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Maddie

I had everything arranged on the table as people began filing in. Mr. Green always had me do that for the big meetings and this looked like a big meeting. He even had a file for Jack, which as a player was unheard of.

Jack was the last one to enter and we shut the door and Mr. Green came out of his office. "Good morning everyone, help yourself to coffee or a Danish, this is going to be quite the meeting."

Everyone got up except me and Jack and Mr. Green and took advantage of his offer. The file was thick this morning. Mr. Green was at the head of the table as the GM and son of the owner of the organization. I was to his left. Coach Lumm was to his right and he had taken two Danish, not that it was important I just noticed.

Roger Morris was next to Coach, he was the most senior of the GM Staff and had been with the team for years, there were even rumors that him and Mr. Green had gone to college together. Next to him was Jacob Trouba, former player in the league and a scout for the team for the last few years. Next to them was Mary Yang, head of accounting, if she was here trades were happening today.

Then Jack was at the bottom of the table, directly across from Mr. Green. Next to Jack was Ivy Pendleton, head of marketing and Sales, and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Next to her was Junior Johnson, Head scout of the Blizzard, this was a big meeting if he was here. Then last but not least Martin Mascho, GM of the Blizzzard, and lucky me I got to sit next to the prick.

If he was here people were getting traded from both clubs and I bet he was pissed the meeting was happening here and not in Buffalo. Of course, Mr. Green was going to be the owner as soon as his father stepped down and I could see that happening any day now.

"Alright let's get to it. We are the worst team in the league, so we are making wholesale changes, starting today. I have lists of players we are targeting and I want to get them, but I want the costs to be as low as possible. We don't have to act scared when other teams call, everyone knows we are rebuilding, so play it safe and everything goes to me before anything happens. I have also a list of players that cannot be traded for any reason; these are our future people so let's make this work."

"Who made these lists? These aren't what we talked about at all." Martin said throwing the list back down on the table.

"My team and I came up with the lists, all you wanted to do was bring in high priced players and use up salary cap space. We are rebuilding Martin, we are not in playoff contention." Mr. Green said.

"Well with that attitude we always will be. I could have Shabrook, a fifty goal scorer, and you went to your father and stopped the trade." He said pissed.

"Yeah, a thirty five year old player, and all they wanted in return was Maddison and out next first round pick. It was a bad trade for us and we didn't need it. Rebuilding is the key word, and that starts with youth." Mr. Green said and he wasn't getting upset at all, unlike Martin.

"Let's face it Garrett, we have different ideas how the team should be run. Let's do what's best and leave the player personnel to me, and you just develop the kids we bring in." He said getting up from his chair. "I'll send you a list of what we will do as my office does it, have a good day."

"Martin, why do you think I had you come here?" Mr. Green said leaning back in his chair. "The future of this organization will run through me, and only me, from this point on. I tried being nice and letting you think you had some say in this, but I will not be talked to like that. Your presence here is no longer required and your time with organization is now over."