Chapter 1

Nico appeared in the shadows between the Zeus cabin and the half-built cabin that was soon to be dedicated to Hades' children, or more likely, be his new summer home. Carefully he stepped out from the shadows and looked around. Time to check up on Camp Half-Blood.
"Nico?" Percy's voice called from somewhere in front of him.

The younger one stepped forward out of the shadows to where Percy was waiting. "Hey," he answered in a voice noticably lower than the last time they had spoken to each other, "Just stopping by to see if anything's new."

"Like your cabin?"

Nico shrugged, "Might have had something to do with it."

As the days passed the weather changed drastically. Privately, Percy wondered if Zeus was being poetic by making the weather stormy as soon as Nico arrived. He was a pretty volatile guy in general, but he seemed extra touchy lately. Sure Nico would hang out with the gang and all, but he remained quiet as a shadow until someone tried to talk to him. He would get all huffy and storm off, leaving a few cracks in the foundation on his way. Once Percy had grabbed him in an attempt to stop him from leaving and Nico quickly turned and pushed him away violently. Percy could still feel his icy cold hands on his chest. The older young man had decided that he needed to talk to the boy alone, and so waited until one evening in which he broke away from the group to go and find him.

Despite the fact that Percy had offered Nico a bed in his cabin, the younger one insisted on staying in the freezing three-quarters finished Hades cabin. Percy understood that Nico wanted some space, but it worried him to think of Nico huddled up in the freezing cabin with nobody else. He stepped up to the door and was about to knock when the door opened in front of him, letting out the scent of fresh paint. Nico looked up with a dark gaze.

"Boo."

"Hey Nico. Lemme in."

Instead, Nico stepped out. When he turned his face to look around for the rest of the gang Percy saw a streak of gray paint on his pale cheek. "Been painting?" he asked stupidly.

"Yes." Nico could tell that Percy was fishing for something, and he wasn't in a mood to give anything freely.

There was a silence as Percy waited for Nico to elaborate. When the younger one didn't he coughed awkwardly and continued his attempt to learn what was bugging his friend, "How long until it's finished?"

"It'll be done around the 23rd. Home sweet home."

"Will you let me see it?"

"Haven't you helped with building it?" Nico asked in an accusing tone. He himself felt bad that other campers had been assigned to making a cabin that they would never be allowed into, but he just couldn't be at camp as much as they could. What was Percy's excuse?

"I've been helping to find other half-bloods."

Oh.

Nico stayed quiet, leaning against the front of the cabin and enjoying the cool feel of it. It was like turning your pillow over at night to cool down. Percy's ineffective interrogation was making him angry, but he didn't want to explode at his friend.

"Did you fall asleep?" Percy asked, making Nico realize he had closed his eyes as he opened them to look at the older boy.

"No."

Percy let out an exasperated sigh and gently grabbed his friend's forearm, "Nico..." The younger man stiffened and would have pulled his arm away, but Percy tightened his hold, "Just tell me what's up with you."

"Nothing!" Nico shouted, then he softened his voice as Percy loosened his grip, "I'm always moody, Percy. You know that."

A crack of lightning shot through the clouds as if agreeing with the statement. Both boys looked up and Nico removed his arm completely from Percy's hold.