#23: Who Left and Stayed?

Start from the beginning

"The house of Silverstone had always been working hand in hand with the founding Emperor. They had given their support when waging wars. They housed many physicians and became a refuge for soldiers returning battle after battle. As the commander, I would occasionally visit my men", Charles started opening his mouth. "That's when I met your mother. She was so headstrong that even my troupe leaders couldn't stand against her orders. When she tells them to lie down, they're like tamed wolves", the Duke gave a soft chuckle. 

So that's where this girl inherited her strong personality. 

"There was this strength in your mother that I admire the most. I tried to approach her but she kept jumping from one place to another, organizing and making sure that everyone gets the right amount of attention. When the battle was over, things went more serene. The current Emperor was the Crowned Prince at that time. He asked me of what reward I would like to have", Charles leaned forward. "Did you ask Mom to be your reward?! Kyah!", Eleanor squealed. "I was looking far ahead. No, I didn't ask for Seri to be my reward. I visited the House of Silverstone almost every day and she finally noticed me", the man closed his eyes. 

How clumsy. The commander of the Emperor's knight fell from a tree. What were you doing?

I was trying to return this bird. 

Pfft~ You're such a soft-hearted man. Well, if you don't get treated at the house of Silverstone, the Emperor will destroy this house. 

"Never had I been thankful to be wounded. If not because of that wound, I wouldn't know the comfort of being tended", Charles held her hand. 

He's been manslaughtering since I can remember. I think it was at the age of 14 that he already joined the battlefield. No wonder that he'd be passing such violent blood to his offspring. 

"Your mom had a weak body and she rested before us. But looking at you, I know you can pass through 70 or even age 100", Charles gave a smile. "I heard that they trained you how to use the sword. I can't wait to have a sparring with you", Charles had a smirk on his face. "My arms might fly away along with my sword", Eleanor sighed. She wasn't allowed to carry a sword around the Crown Prince's. They haven't yet forgotten about the rumor.

The band at the restaurant started to play some music. "Dad, shall we go for a dance?", Eleanor invited.

Charles, mind having another dance? It'll tire you out until you break your marriage proposal.

"You are just like her", Charles took her daughter's hand and led her towards the open space. "This is the first place where I took your mother to have dinner. She was so picky with food but she liked it here. She complained a lot and was so difficult to please", Charles started to recall some memories. "Why did you marry her then?", Eleanor was curious. Knowing Charles, he could have married any of the late Emperor's daughters. "Because I love her", Charles gave a bright smile. Eleanor felt like melting.

"Speaking about marriage, how about Uncle Oliver? Isn't he planning to start a family? It's so annoying whenever he uses the house as a lodge area or something like that", Eleanor pouted. "Oliver had sworn his life for the Emperor. Even if he gets married, he'll be out of their house most of the time", Charles sighed. "Didn't you swear your life to the Emperor as well?", Eleanor tilted her head. "He is one of the Frontier Knights. He's commonly sent out to expand the territory", Charles explained. "But he's on a very long vacation!!!", Eleanor complained. "You have to be thankful for that. If he'll be on the battlefield, it means we're waging war against some nation", Charles flicked the lady's forehead. "The last battle that happened was 10 years ago. This generation hasn't seen the terror of war. I hope you'd get past your life without seeing one", Charles gave a weak smile.