Clash of Clans

The Council of the Shinobi Clan
Unknown location

Espio wasn't his birth name, but it was the name he'd gone by since his early days as a ninja. For how ironical it was, it fit perfectly with his line of work and special ability to camouflage with anything nearby.

The fuchsia colored chameleon had reentered his clan's village after just accomplishing a huge victory for the Shinobi Clan. Any other person would feel bold and proud of what they'd done, but to Espio, he was just doing his duty for his people.

It didn't take him long to reach his hut after entering the village, considering his was one of many that were closer to the far walls than most. All ninjas of the clan mainly lived near the borders of the village for security issues.

He calmly shut his front door, and threw his mission bag down next to the small dining table. The first thing he did as soon as he got comfortable, was immediately open the fridge, digging out a small bottle of water. He took a few large gulps, before carrying it with him back into his living area. He sat the water down on the nightstand next to his couch, and turned on the television.

But as he finally began to relax, there was a knock at his front door. Though he had finally got time to relax, he looked at the door, unbothered.

"Espio, it's Valdez." The calm voice loudly spoke through the door. Espio got up from the couch, and opened the door.

"Espio." The blue chameleon balled his fist into his other hand, and bowed. "Valdez." Espio mimicked the same greeting. "I trust your mission was a success?" The blue chameleon politely, but dryly spoke. "Yes. The second in command of Dr. Eggman is now deceased." Espio spoke of his mission to his comrade. "Good. Finally, we have that fat evil monster on the ropes." Valdez said, as he and Espio entered his home, shutting the door.

There was a brief silence as Valdez looked around Espio's hut, interested. "I see you've been well, Espio. What has it been?" The blue chameleon asked out of retort.

"Two years. Last I saw of you, you were on a hunting assignment to capture and kill Lien-Da on Angel Island." Espio said, following closely behind and folding his arms into his chest. "Right. I'd been gaining her trust all this time. Last month I finally achieved my goal. Angel Island will no longer be bothered by that slime." Valdez gritted his teeth at the mere mention of Lien-Da.

"Valdez, lets just skip to why you're really here." Espio lightly sighed, not trying to be rude but also not wanting his time wasted.

"Yes," Valdez said, as he turned back from Espio's valuables to look at him, "the council has requested your presence. It's urgent." He places his hands behind his back and formally spoke. "The council? What do they want from me? I'm no longer a member." Espio said in confusion.

"You are now. Mika was killed last week during an insurrection in Spagonia. And they've picked you to be the filling member." Valdez said. He could tell the troubling feeling Espio had felt just by looking at his face. But he couldn't read if it was because of Mika's apparent death, or the fact that he was requested due to an urgent emergency.

"When is the gathering?" Espio quietly asked.

"One hour. In the Shinobi Hall." Valdez turned around, heading for the door. As he reached the door, he stopped and looked back over his shoulder. "You've been gone a long time, Espio. Something isn't right within our clan. And I hope you'll be the one to get to the bottom of it." He finished, before exiting the hut.

Espio stood still, in awe. If a council meeting was being called right as he had arrived back home, it must be something dangerously important. And that's what scared him.
_________________________