Chapter 10

The forest, as one would probably not expect, was a normal forest. There wasn't anything of particular interest, aside from some talking squirrels wearing clothes and other Ozian oddities. Eventually, the path stopped, leaving Samuel to rely on his new guide cloaked in darkness. He'd probably have lost Martin in some areas if he weren't so pale.

"Where are you taking me, anyway?" He asked the farmer. He was weary, but gave him the benefit of the doubt.

"Well, there've been some odd stuff happening at my farm. Crops disappearing, silent animals talking, talking animals silent, a whole lot of odd stuff. Especially in my cornfield, the rav-"

"Cornfield?" Samuel interrupted. "Like the one the Scarecrow was found in?"

"You know your stuff, Samuel," Martin said with a grin. "I'm impressed!"

"Of course," the Host scoffed. "Everyone in the country, if not the world has at least seen the movie by now."

Martin took a couple steps before stopping and turning around. One of his dark brows was higher than the other. "What's a movie?"

Samuel looked at him, his face lax with disappointment. After closing his eyes and putting his head down for a moment, he said, "Have you seen a picture that moves, talks, and tells a story for a long time, maybe an hour?"

"I think..." Martin put his hand on his chin to think, if that's what he's doing. Samuel was getting tired of his constant smiling. "I don't do city culture all that much."

"Well, that's essentially what a movie is. It's like reading a book while doing all the imagining for you."

"Well, Samuel, maybe we can watch one sometime. I've only heard of them, but never actually saw one for myself." Martin turned back around to keep walking. Samuel pushed himself to follow him.

"Maybe," he quietly considered. What are you saying? This man is dangerous! Who knows what he's hiding! Don't be stupid, Samuel! His thoughts kept him in check; this farmer, no matter how nice he was, was still a stranger with signs of loyalty programmed into him. He remained cautious and prepared to run the other direction as quickly as he could.

While he didn't want to admit it, Samuel let curiosity drive him forward. This was the first time in many years, if not ever, that he's seen this world. Each moment, each step he took, felt realer than the last. Being here was like a childhood dream, and a lucid one at that. The world he wanted to have instead of being 'out there.' Here, despite being a result of tragedy, was much more than the physical world. If he could do something to continue the ongoing change, maybe even speed it up.

***

When they reached the farm, summer had returned to his senses. The wool jacket and cap he wore began to heat up, and he became uncomfortably damp. He took off the jacket and remembered to will it away, but couldn't. He tried it again, but it was impossible. So to avoid any confrontation, he resorted to tying it around his waist, and held the cap in his left hand in the meantime. What didn't help was that the shirt he wore was black, just as it was on the body.

"It can get hot in the summer, very hot," said Martin. "Some days, I worry if my crops will die out. Our sun is a little closer than it is in the Outside, so the heat can be unbearable."

"That's terrible." Your corn would die, and maybe dry up so much, whatever popcorn made would burn away. He kept his guard up so high, so much so that he couldn't recognize his own fear.

He was brought to the farmer's old-looking wooden house. It was fairly large, maybe about twice the size of the local gas station. The farmer unlocked the double doors with a rustic key and opened it for his new guest. "Come in, I'll have something on the table for you," he said.