2. The Masquerade Begins

< Anastasia's Dress

(Theo's P.O.V)

The day went by in a blur. Honestly, it was no shocker considering I couldn't help thinking about the ball the entire day. Everytime I did think about it, I could feel beads of sweat starting to form on my forehead.

I was having mixed emotions about it.  Ashton was in an extremely good mood which was annoying because we still had no idea how to get past the security. I, on the other hand, couldn't get Anastasia's little wave out of my head. And then there was the lingering doom of getting caught by Xavier Rossett . . . actually, I was pretty sure that everybody in that mansion was going to be equally unwelcoming.

"Hey!" I snapped at Ashton when he kicked me from under the table, and sent a sharp glare his way.

"Earth to, Theo? You haven't even touched your food." Mom frowned. My eyes trailed back to the plate of my untouched dinner that sat at the table. I hadn't even picked up my fork yet.

"Uh . . . I was just thinking about something I read a little while ago. Sorry," I breathed out a lie. It was the only excuse I could come up with and for that I received an eye roll from Ashton. I narrowed my eyes at him and he mouthed a ‘hurry' at me.

I tried to eat as fast as I could while my mother looked at me with a screwed up expression and I mumbled a 'hungry'.

After dinner, we quickly wished our 'good nights' to Mom and made a beeline for our rooms.

After ten minutes or so, just as expected, Ashton sneaked into my bedroom.

"Why is it so dark?" he whispered and turned on his phone's flashlight, waving it to look around the room properly as if he was looking for some kind of monster. The thought of Ashton screaming like a little child made me snicker quietly.

"Well we can't turn on the lights can we? Mom could see them and would then question us," I replied. I squinted my eyes to realise that he was already dressed. As usual, he was looking charming in a traditional, completely black tux, his hair for once combed back neatly instead of running in every possible direction. "Why are you already in a tux?" I pointed out questioningly.

"Well, I texted Ivory and Liam and they'll be waiting outside so we're kinda supposed to get dressed and meet them so we can think of how to get past security."

I gave him a droll stare before getting off the bed and then hastily got dressed in a classic navy blue tux with a maroon tie. I debated whether to keep my hair in their usual style or to, same as Ashton, comb them back in a neat manner. I ran a hand through my dark hair that had started growing again . . . even though I had just gotten a haircut last week.

"We're going for the classy attire," Ashton said helpfully when he noticed my conflict.

I nodded and combed my hair back, stepping back to take a final look at myself. Ashton came to stand next to me and lazily hung an arm on my neck.