'What? Come on!' Cody was really panicking now and his charge was building again.

"Didn't you tell him why he's here?" Jess looked at his mom accusingly.

"That wasn't your mom's call," said Dr. May. "I was hoping to have him calmed down before I did." He rubbed a hand through his hair. "I see that's not going to be the case."

'Mom?' Cody looked at Jess, then at Abigail, then back at his friend. 'Jess?'

Finally meeting his eyes, Jess slumped his shoulders. "Abigail is my mom."

Abigail didn't smile, but rather shook her head. "We don't have time for pleasantries. Chris, I'm going to check on Sean. Please get this situation sorted now."

Jess and Cody watched her walk away. Cody was bewildered. Did she say Sean? He was here too?

"Cody, we need your help," said Dr. May, drawing the attention back to himself.

Cody still didn't respond, rather glaring at his best friend. Jess wasn't meeting his eyes again. What had his friend done? Was he in cohorts with these people? He did want to believe it.

Dr. May placed a hand on the merman's shoulder. "This will be easier if you'll talk to me."

Jess adjusted his glasses then finally looked back up. "They know everything, Cody. They've known for a long time."

The young merman could almost feel his heart stutter to a stop for a second, before it picked up at a rapid pace. He must have heard wrong. These people knew his secret? He looked up at Dr. May. Scientists knew what he was? He let his head fall back against the bed and gave a final jerk with his wrists against the straps. No!

'Please. I just want to go home,' thought Cody. He let the thought reach anyone who was close enough.

The whole room seemed to stop and stare at him.

"I know, but it's a matter of life and death," said Dr. May. "Your friend Sean is not doing so well, and you're the cause."

'Where's Sean? Why is he here?'

Jess pulled up a stool and sat by the bed. "He's changing. Into a merman."

"What did you do on the beach two nights ago?" Asked Dr. May. He had a notebook open, ready to jot things down.

'When Sean attacked me?' Cody closed his eyes, and laid his head back. His brain was pounding, and bright spots were dancing behind his eyelids. He wasn't used to talking to this Dr. May and it was quickly taking a toll on him.

"What you did to him was far worse than the punch to the face he gave you," said Dr. May. "What I mean, more specifically, is what did you do to his body?"

Cody shook his head. 'He should be fine. I took the electricity out of him. He had some welts on his wrists, but he was fine.'

"Don't lie to us, young man!" Dr. May tapped the notebook with his pen, a warning in his voice.

He'd had enough. Opening his eyes, Cody stared at Dr. May, and then he thought about what had happened the other night with Sean.

The older man staggered back a little as his mind was bombarded with pictures and feelings. It was like he was there, on the beach. He could feel the panic of watching Sean go into shock, then the relief as Cody was able to pull the energy out of him. Annoyance as Sean woke up and called him names, then fear of having a tail again.

Dr. May collapsed into a chair, rubbing his pounding head. "That..." he gasped.

"Cody, go easy on him!" Jess jumped down from his stool and helped Dr. May sit up straight.