#15: Growing Up

Depuis le début

"Why are they giving soldier regimen to us? Aren't we supposed to train our brains?", Zakili complained. Eleanor chuckled and was comforted that some people also feel the same way as she does. Jared, the soft-spoken guy, poked Eleanor's face. "In no time, you will lose your pretty face", Jared sighed. Roy slammed the table. "I quit", he said with a serious voice. The three were startled.

"Just kidding. My father will kill me", Roy leaned on the table. "By the way, I don't see you in the bathing area. You don't smell bad. Where do you take your bath?", Jared was curious. "It's a secret", she chuckled. They would laugh so hard if they knew that she was taking a bath at the river every day. But one day, that will have to stop. Winter is soon approaching and she will die if she dips in the freezing water.

"Also, you are in the same room with Jenos. Don't you feel scared? He's like a lady killer with that face?", Zakili asked. Eleanor nervously laughed. "He doesn't even look at me as a lady", she sighed. Jenos throws everything he finds in the room just to wake her up. He also teases her a lot. "I wonder how long could we hold on", Roy whined.

3 months later
House of Sailine

Invitation from the Palace came for the 3rd time. 

The first time, she threw up and had a stomach ache

The first time, she threw up and had a stomach ache. The second time, she ran away from home. She can't keep on running away. She saw the ribbon that Eleanor gave her as a gift. If Eleanor was still the same person, she would be powdered to death because the Crown Prince is calling for her presence. She sighed and wore the dress that her mother prepared.

Palace
Garden

Xylan sat in front of Claudia. "I have heard that you fell ill before. How are you feeling now?", Xylan asked. "I am feeling better, your highness. I appreciate you for calling another meeting such as this", Claudia said politely. "You are well-spoken. Did someone teach you your etiquette?", Xylan sipped on his tea. "My mother taught me at a young age", Claudia answered.

"How about your tutor?", Xylan looked at the leaves falling from the tree. "Lady Eleanor usually gives me her tutor. Her father was paying for them so she doesn't want the money to go to waste", Claudia answered. "Speaking of Lady Eleanor, why are you acquainted with her? Did she threaten you before?", Xylan finally looked into Claudia's eyes. The girl was taken back and looked down.

"Lady Eleanor was the first person who approached me when I tried to enter the High Society. From that day on, she seems to be amused with my presence so she calls for me in their Mansion", Claudia smiled. "I heard that she mistreated you", Xylan opened. Claudia gulped. It was true but Eleanor is already different from before.

"She did, your highness. And... I cannot still forget some of them", Claudia clenched her fist.

All women are the same. They will bite each other on their back.

"But, Ellie is in her way of redeeming herself. With her actions, I believe that she's doing her best to treat me better. I hope other people might see that as well. ", Claudia smiled and surprised Xylan. He was expecting her to complain. Xylan cleared his throat.

"I am considering you to be a candidate to be an Empress. What do you think of that?", Xylan asked.

"Your Highness, may you also allow me to ask a question? Through your answer, I may find an answer as well", Claudia bowed her head.

"Go on".

"Your Highness, what would this marriage mean to you? I am wary. We are both from different factions and... I'm not sure about tying my hands with you", Claudia closed her eyes.

"Marriage? My brother would often say that I should marry a woman that I love dearly. That was when I wasn't the crown prince. But then, when I became the crown Prince my advisors keep on reminding me to marry a woman who will be a great Empress to the nation", Xylan paused to breathe.

"When we get older, I think our views on things change. Before, I also fantasized about being able to live a free life. But I know that this Empire was built on the blood of those who fought for it. I can't afford to stay as a child and linger in my fantasies", Xylan added. Claudia gulped and opened her eyes. She looked at the crown prince and saw some hint of sadness in his eyes.

"Even if it means that you might not love your wife?", Claudia gulped. Xylan gave her a weak smile and stood up. "I don't think a person like you would be hard to love, Lady Claudia", Xylan said before leaving.

Liam escorted Claudia towards her carriage.

"Milady, the Prince asked me to tell you of this. He said you may use this information to your liking. The Emperor loved the Queen and yet made the Empress stay by his side because she is the daughter of the most powerful duke in the Empire", Liam said before closing the door.

Chapter end.