Thirty-Eight | Mendoza

Bella Ryan | Isabella Moretti

Mendoza

For years I have been deprived of love from a family. From a mother. From a father. From a sibling. If only the incident from my past didn't happen, I'd still be living with my mother and my brother, peacefully minding ourselves and our lives.

But the things we want to happen do not always happen, now do they?

Even after I lost my mother and sibling, I was given another chance to call someone a family. Being adopted by the Romanos gave me that chance.

Although their lives may be far from being peaceful –one of the disadvantages of running an academy for assassins– they had somehow provided me the comfort of having a family.

And at that time, there was one person I could call a sibling. My former partner: Jace Mendoza.

Ever since I entered the academy, Jace had always been their for me. We worked together on missions. We spent time with each other. We treated each other like a sibling.

Seeing him in the state he is in now brings back a familiar feeling that I felt in the past. The feeling I felt the day I lost my mother and my brother.

I do not want to lose another person.

Knowing that he is in his current situation because of me makes it worse. If I hadn't drag him into my business with the Panthers this would not have happened.

I looked up to the night sky, hugging my knees as I was lost in my thoughts. That was until I heard a faint rustle behind me. I glanced behind and saw Gray making his way towards me. I return my gaze to the sky, admiring the stars as a tear slipped out of my eye.

I felt Gray sit down beside me, his gaze fixed on me. I suddenly felt his arm around me, bringing me a sense of comfort yet again.

"Is there something wrong?" He asks.

I lift my head up to look at him before wiping the tears on my cheeks.

"It's Jace. He doesn't know who I am." I reply, before returning my gaze to the sky.

I felt his hold tighten around me.

"Isabella." He spoke with a soft voice. He must have seen me earlier, crying as I made my way out here in the garden.

I made no effort to respond as I continued look at the sky. He did not speak another word, making the silence envelope the two of us.

For a few minutes, tha two of us sat in silence before I decided to speak.

"You shouldn't have seen me like this." I let out a dry laugh.

"I know that Mendoza is somewhat a brother to you, so I understand." He says, making me glance at him as he gave me a small smile.