13. Endearment

Welcome, students. Sooner than you thought ay? Well, take your seats, cause we mean real business. Hmm? Yes, I said 'we'. Let's say that today we're doing an 'exchange program', meaning we have a special guest today. Meet Relentlezz41, he'll run you through today's course like no one other.

And yes. This part is actually legit. Genuine advice.

---

Hey all, it’s AJ. Let me fill you in. Relentlezz41. Yeah, I think you remember me. But this isn’t about me. This is about writing. Something I have struggled with. Now I have received such positive feedback. Which I am grateful for all of eternity for. I love my viewers and that’s that.

But I am not perfect by any means. I have flaws and struggles. Yes, it may not look it, but I have looked at a screen for three days to push 500 words before. When I say “I am my own enemy” it is my mind playing evil. Most of writer’s block is when you have too many ideas or not having a solid direction. My story One In Vermillion (Stella Vermillion X Male Reader) took three attempts. Why? Here is why.

Plot.

Side characters.

Main character and having him have solid development. 

Then the main one. Names and terms of endearment.

Simple? Nah nah nah. Fuhgetaboutit. 

There is much more to it. Now my apprentice Omega hates the FN and LN style. (First Name and Last Name) Which I understand because we want to remember our characters and give them something bold and stand out. For Irina’s lover in my story Angel On Edge I refer to him as Gaius. 

As for other characters that you create, that is why I’m here. I go by the process. If we go by my original called Restless, I needed names. And if we go by fan-fics, you can’t just use any name. Let’s make an example here. Warning. Cringe alert.

“I’m Sito the guy who’s busting you out of here. And he’s Bob.”

“Hi. Bob. Nice to meet you.”

*Buzzer* It don’t work!

Listen. Especially if it’s a Japanese based work. How many times could you throw an American name out there. I know a Chinese guy my age who was raised here named George. I know a native Japanese woman named Sammy. But to throw the name Bob to a guy and put him in Japan somewhere? Please consider the logic. 

Now I have literally went to the search engines. There was a lot more in the 2000s but now its basically Google or Bing. Neither pay me so do what you want. I don’t care. Haha. But I’ve searched up Japanese names and it goes by alphabet and then tells you the definition. Which has really helped for certain fan-fics like some DxD works. 

Some names just fit.

Emerald – Stripper with green eyes

Yami – Sweet girl in disguise as a Fallen Angel

June – A girl with a warm personality and dress appearance meaning summery. 

The list goes on. Sometimes when you just cannot think of a name you go by definition that has a catchy name. Some roll off the tongue very well. I made the mistake by giving a character the name of Ryluscious. (Ry-lu-shis). It’s Luscious because it sounds like Lucifer and just put Ry in front. Didn’t work as well as I had thought. But this is how you learn. The name will be switched to Rylus when I get my publishing situation together. (Long story.)

Next is the terms of endearment. Now this is difficult with the more you right in my opinion, the reason is when you have multiple stories can someone call their lover “Babe” in EVERY story? Not really.