Friend Or Foe?

FROM NOW ON WHENEVER A PARAGRAPH MAY HAVE CONTENT THAT COULD MAKE THE READERS FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE I WILL USE THIS EMOJI (📌) AT THE START TO WARN YOU.

It was nearly midnight and the full moon was right above the mountain responsible for keeping Sandalwoods away from the rest of the world. Secluded and distant, the mountain gave the feeling that once someone crossed it there was no turning back. Maybe it is right. Maybe people are not mistaken for feeling that there is something wrong with this mountain.

The shadows residing in the forest covering its sides are visible all day long, as if the sun's light never reaches the ground. The birds never sing and the animals like ghosts moving from one side of the woods to the other, never being heard. The type of quietness that was not normal for a forest. Almost like a cemetery.

📌The deeper you go the more uneasy you feel. Legend has it that three hundred years ago a group of friends had come to the forest to explore with the goal of reaching it's heart. They felt the aura of the mountain, warning them to stay away and yet they continued to go deeper and deeper inside. The woods started to sent them more drastic warnings. Dead animals blocking their path, birds whose wings were cut off and much more. Their stubbornness thought didn't allow them to turn back now after having come so far, hence disrespecting the forest that had shown them mercy up until now.

📌The former number of the group was at 23 people. By the time they decided to return they were reduced to seven. Only 3 of them returned safely claiming that after passing a strange sign every night they spent in the forest one of their friends would disappear. Where the other four went? Just before they reached the road a black shadow lifted them off the ground struggling them to death in front of their companions, making them see the terror and hear their screams as they left their final breath.

At the same spot was now standing one of the former residents of the mountain. Covered in blood from head to toy looking around, searching for the exact place to leave his message.

~~~~~~~~

I am standing above the place in which hundreds of years ago my kind displayed its dominance over the humans. And if we had 'values' this would be a sacred place for us and maybe if it was what I just did would be regarded as sin. But no. Such things can not exist under our name. I left my message for her. The girl whose call I have been yearning for for so long. Having satisfied my hunger I was finally able to hear the voice of the spirits clear as day telling me that she was ready and our destined meeting was near.

A hundred years passed after her last 'visit'. The previous time she was going by the name of Margaret, that is before she received a new call from the spirits. She didn't manage to gain their favor however. She broke our bond after only three weeks of establishing it and gave our location to the humans. A huge slaughter took place in the forest the following night. She herself escaped, leaving the town's people to their fate. We couldn't kill her anyway. She was one of the few remaining descendants and she was needed to keep the blood line alive.

I was left bondless for such a long time that I felt my insticts coming back, the all too familiar but forgotten wish for blood and the feelings of rivalry towards the others of my kind. Having been trapped in an illusion of safety for longer than I care to remember I had done little to nothing to prepare myself in case I was freed. I was surprised that the spirits didn't give up on me, saying that even though I hadn't been prepared and eventually succumbed to my insticts, my fight for control over my own body and mind was remarkable.

Deep in my thoughts and worries, drowning in the satisfaction of a clear mind I barely managed to notice the presence behind me. I felt the fur at the back of my neck rise and old hatred digging its way to the surface.
"If you are thinking of sneaking up on me, don't" Sending him my thoughts, looking right above my shoulder. Behind the trees a pair of light brown eyes observing my every movement, calculating whether I am bluffing or not. Soon after a small figure made its way to the light where I could now clearly see him. The familiar frail lookin body with tanned complexion standing a few meters behind me.

I slowly turn around to face him, bending to the side and moving my body to stay opposite of his like a snake or lizard would do. "Sharp as ever I see. Even after having regained your mind for less than a day you have almost absolute precision and control over your body's movements. Didn't expect anything else. Well done" he said. A small chicky grin making its way to his face. Looking me straight to the eyes, his semi-long dark brown hair getting in the way. "What happened? Not gonna talk anymore? Well now that I think about it even back then you nev-" "Let the past where it is" My voice echoing in his head, firm and steady. Showing that I was having none of that. "... Very well" he said and as quietly as he had come he left, like a ghost, going back inside the trees.

A moment passed after I was sure that he had left. The sight of relief and worry I was keeping in my throat escapes from my mouth as I gradually fall on my knees, my hands hanging to my sides, head looking up at the bright moon. It took me a while to realize how tensed I was. What does he want appearing, out of nowhere now of all times? And that smile. That dreaded smile. How much I would want to kill him if it wasn't for the spirits, the reason for protecting him still unknown. No... My purpose is already complicated as it is. I don't need ghosts of the past haunting me, reinforcing my regrets.

All I need to focus on is reuniting with her. How many years has it been since our first encounter, eight maybe ten? Shivers run down my spine as I remember her. At such a young age and she already had a strong dark aura around her, emitting dominance. She seems worth my time and energy. The test will probably be a piece of cake for her. A smile makes its way on my face as I think of her. A true queen. Or maybe Duchess, yeah that's right. Just like her very first form.