Book 2 "Obscurum" Chapter 10

"Synergy" noun the interaction of elements producing a total effect greater than the sum of individual parts

They emerge from the tunnels together.

Moonlight casts long shadows behind them, night wind whips dust and leaves to dance in the dark.

The hunter, weapon still in hand, thinking that her chance will come. She has only to bide her time. Her ghost watches her, both relieved and afraid, knowing exactly what she is thinking.

The warlock, little more than a child, with his patchwork ghost. He sees the stars above, feels the residual static of the power he unleashed. He sees his companions and does not know if he should be thankful, or afraid, or both.

The titan, her ghost long dead, brings up the rear. So she can watch the others. She wonders what Rasputin will have for her next. Whatever it is, she will be ready.

They halt at the edge of the forest.

"No sign of pursuit." Raine holsters her weapon as she scans the landscape. She is careful not to turn her back to Diz.

"Pity, I was just starting to enjoy myself." the hunter replies.

The boy looks up, overhead he hears the whine of atmospheric thrusters. A jumpship, vanguard, breaks the cloud cover and banks to circle behind them.

A comms channel crackles through the boys ghost.

"...unknown fireteam...this is vanguard scout north west 3...please identify yourselves."

"Fireteam?" Raine shakes her head in disdain.

In the quiet under the trees, Diz begins to laugh.

"Save me. Please. I dream of blood."

Handwritten note in margin of final page, remainder of text indecipherable/destroyed. From "Advanced Combat Tactics" by (TEXT REDACTED)

Epilogue .

one .

"We were Eliksni, you see. Now... we are only Fallen. The wars take from us. Take take take. So many petty squabbles, so many factions. Picking away at what we were. Listen. We are dying. And we can abide this no longer. For us few you see here, there will be no more Kells. No more Archons, no more Houses. They drag us to the brink of extinction. Their time must end. From here and now.. we serve only vengeance. Retribution against those who have wronged us. Human, Hive, Cabal ... Fallen. Any and all. Those who gnaw the carcass of what we were. No more. Once I was and still I am Eliksni. We are. So we lived once and so we shall die. You see? Now ... we will make you suffer, as we have suffered. Now you will die, as we have died. This is the fire which drives us. This is all we have left. And... it is enough. We, the forgotten, the dispossessed, the betrayed. These Eliksni before you ... we run no longer. These Eliksni stand. And we will burn you for what you have done. Now, guardian... are you ready?"

two .

"The Tower attacked. Guardians dead. The Speaker was shot, Lysander. What have we done?"

"Only what we agreed my friend. Are you losing your nerve? Now?"

"No. This wasn't the plan. Never. Never guardians dying. Not a future built on bodies."

"Everything is built on bodies. You know that as well as anyone. Everything."

three .

...EarthWarmind designation Rasputin . DATASTREAM 266/180011 . extra solar monitoring . potential category zero alert . tracking . suspected deceleration event . scanning...

Inlustris will conclude in Book 3 "Eigengrau"