chapter 5 "E.L.E."

"So, Dizren ... it is Dizren, isn't it? We meet at last. Why don't we get started with why you broke into my quarters?"

Executor Hideo sits opposite me in the hold of the New Monarchy jumpship. My hands are restrained behind my back, weapon confiscated. My ghost has cloaked, remaining silent and hidden. Armed guardians in faction colours stand on either side. Another sits beside the pilot, watching me. Over their shoulders I see the surface of Venus rushing past. Hideo leans back against the hull, legs crossed, fingers steepled over his knees. His expression is blank but his eyes are alert, piercing. It feels a little cliche but he reminds me of a snake. A hungry, angry snake.

It would be fair to say this turn of events is unexpected.

"Well, hunter?"

A viper, maybe. Something venomous.

Focus, guardian. I have a decision to make here. What does he know? Why are New Monarchy on Venus? Where are they taking me? Think, Diz.

Lie to him. Tell him the truth. Tell him part of the truth. Tell him nothing.

Say something.

"Breaking into your quarters was random. I done it to throw suspiscion around."

When all else fails, try a measured degree of honesty.

"Odd," Hideo raises an eyebrow, "I actually think you might be telling the truth. A small fraction of it, at least."

The jumpship banks sharply to starboard then begins to rise, a steep climb through the cloud cover. I catch a glimpse of another New Monarchy vessel through the cockpit screen, also climbing fast. Wherever we are headed we are in a hurry.

"It was suspisciously difficult to find any information on you." Hideo continues, impressively unmoved as the jumpships acceleration pushes the rest of us towards the rear of the craft. "Almost nothing in your file. Who done that for you, I wonder?"

"I just don't get out much."

"Hmm. Sarcasm suits you, I'll give you that."

He smiles. It is almost unbearably insincere.

"Hideo, I don't wish to be rude, but...why have you kidnapped me?"

"Kidnapped? Oh, no no no. We haven't kidnapped you. Consider it ... forceful repositioning."

"Alright. Then why am I being forcefully repositioned?"

"Ah, a quick learner. I like that. My associates and I were observing the rather... unusual activity on the planet. Then who happens to show up but the little scamp who broke into my quarters. So we watched you, from orbit. In all honesty, it wasn't particularly challenging. The jumpship you destroyed certainly caught the eye. And then, would you believe, Commander Zavala contacts me and asks if we can extract you. But not to apprehend you. Heavens no. To, if possible, assist you. Curious, don't you think?"

"It's a puzzler."

"Indeed. Unfortunately, although I'm sure understandably, I don't have complete trust in you. Hence the restraints. So why does Zavala now want you assisted, not arrested? And what is really going on here?"

I have nothing to lose now. If I can't get off this ship my mission is scrubbed. Play the odds. Assume the worst. If I'm caught in a lie the chances of release drop to zero. Only keep secret the absolute essentials. It's too late for anything else.

"Ghost, you can show yourself. I need you."

...are you sure?...

"Yes."