chapter 4 "Lorelei"

10 years ago.

The Tower.

I have been called to a meeting with Commander Zavala and my mentor, Cayde-6. Zavala is a Titan, Cayde a hunter like me. I have been a guardian for 6 months. Neither myself or my ghost know why we are here. Probably something bad, I think. Maybe that thing in the Cosmodrome, with those Titans. Idiots were asking for it. I mean... yeah. Okay.

Something bad.

I pass Ikora Rey, the warlock, as I enter the room.

The way she looks at me.

I don't understand it. Those eyes are a fire.

"Guardian." her voice stabbing through the space between us.

Pity? Disgust? Both?

She turns from me and leaves.

She will never speak to me again.

The door closes and I feel more eyes on me. Zavala, an emotionless stare. Cayde, with a smirk.

The exo tells me to sit. I do so, trying not to flinch under the commanders gaze.

"You're trouble, kinderguardian. I like you." the gunsmith had told me a few days before. "But I might be the only one."

Well. He wasn't wrong.

Even my ghost has vanished. Getting out of the firing line, the little coward.

"Welcome, Diz." Zavalas voice, "You aren't in any trouble, if that's what you think."

"Really?"

Really???

A little laugh from Cayde.   To hear his laugh...  It's been so long. He felt like an old friend from the moment I first met him. Where is he now?

"No!" he says, sitting up, "No trouble. Or at least, not yet."

There is another moment of quiet. A tension in the room. Not just from me but between the two counsel members. What is going on here?

Zavala breaks the silence.

"We have called you here Guardian because I believe you can help us. And by extension the city. We have been watching you and feel you may be ... suited, to a certain role."

Okay. This is unexpected.

"I'm intrigued. I didn't think I was very well liked, to be honest, but - "

"You're not. But that is of no consequence."

Cayde leans back in his chair, eyes on me, and shrugs his shoulders.

Nobody's perfect, eh?

"We have ... a problem. The Vanguard has a problem. Which needs to be dealt with...quietly." Zavalas words. So calm, so cold. The years march by, the bodies fall and still I remember every detail.

"We have a problem with some of our guardians."

And so it began.

I don't hear what they say after I leave. It is only years later that I am told.

We can't keep this secret forever, said Cayde.

Yes we can, replied Zavala.

Yes we can.