Book 2 "Obscurum" Chapter 9

"Casuistry" noun the use of clever but unsound reasoning, especially in relation to moral matters

"Well, this brings back memories." Diz is smiling again.

They leave the sunlight behind as they descend into the HIve tunnels.

The hunter and her ghost.

...please try to focus Diz. I'm already detecting Hive signatures in the adjacent chambers...

"Hmm, funny that, in a Hive fortress. How do you know I won't find a way out of this? Get that explosive off my spine?...

...because Amanda Holloway is much better than whoever put that there in the first place. If you tamper with it at all it goes off...

"The blast might kill you too. If I don't."

...yes. It will and I accept that. You know the deal, Diz. You have 1 hour to get this boy and get out or I detonate the explosive. If anything happens to me or the Hive are going to take us, I detonate. Anything I don't like, I detonate. I can't make up for the things we've done, Diz, but getting you through this and saving this child is at least something...

"Pathetic."

The hunter kicks a stone away in disgust.

...please Diz, they will detect us if they haven't already. At least ready your weapon...

"They won't touch me."

Her ghost doesn't reply, but snaps into cloak.

...50 metres straight ahead, 60 metres 80 degrees, knights and thralls...

Diz continues her nonchalant pace, weapon holstered, without looking up.

The Hive watch her approach, alert but unmoving. They are almost silent.

Two knights flank the doorway ahead, a dozen or so thralls now gathered around them.

She walks between them as if they aren't there.

...you've been here before. You know these tunnels...

"Yes."

They pass a pair of acolytes in the next chamber. Weapons lowered they cower away.

...who made you do it, Diz? Who sent you to kill the Speaker? Was it these Hive?"

"Ha. Don't be stupid. You wouldn't even believe me if I told you."

They continue down into the darkness.

...try me...

"Don't waste your time. It doesn't matter. I'll kill them myself before I let the vanguard near them."

...and how do you intend to do that?...

"With my knife."

...you know - ...

"Quiet. We're here."

A new chamber opens up ahead of them, illuminated by a sickly glow.

"It's funny, ghost. You know I don't hear their voices anymore. The guardians and ghosts we killed. And I've added a few more to our list. But ... all quiet. Strange, don't you think?"

Her ghost doesn't reply.