.Chapter Seventeen.

Nathan stormed into his house, slamming the door behind him. The force behind it

trembled the whole house. Frustration made his moves harsh and purposeful. He kicked off his shoes and leaned against the front door, letting out an exaggerated sigh. He ran a tired hand his face.

"Nathan? That you?" a voice called from the living room.

Nathan put on a mask, wiping away all emotion, and walked into the living room. "Yeah, it's me Grandpa."

Reclining on the couch, a bag of potato chips in hand, his grandpa sat. Both Nathan and Sage felt a special connection with him. He had been there for both of them in the worst of times. And he gave the best advice and told the corniest jokes.

Grandpa looked up from his newspaper and, taking in Nathan's stoic expression, gave a concerned frown. "Hey. What's troubling you?"

Nathan slumped into an armchair, letting his faqed slip. "Just..." He gave an exaggerated hand motion. "Everything."

"Ah." Grandpa nodded. "I think I understand."

Nathan gazed at the blank T.V. in response. He really did not feel like talking.

Grandpa folded his newspaper and sat it beside him. Leaning forward, lost in thought, he said, "I know just what you need." A finger wag. "A distraction."

"What?" Nathan looked away from the T.V. to glance at his grandfather.

"Why don't you go out and have some fun? You're not one to open up, so you need to do

something. ​Mourning like this... it isn't healthy. Just because she died doesn't mean you can't live."

Nathan pondered the advice. Maybe that is what he needed. He needed to forget, or at least take his mind off of things.

He nodded in response and stood up.

"Oh, and Nathan?" His grandpa rubbed the back of his neck. "Your father... he set up an appointment for you to see a councelor. You'll meet with her on Wednesday."

"He did ​what​?"

"He thinks it's for the best. He's trying to do what's best for you."

Nathan scoffed. "Please. If he really cared, he'd be here. Not out there. You know what?" He glared at the floor. "I have somewhere to be."

Emotions flaring, Nathan threw back on his shoes and stomped back out the door. Stopping on the porch, he weighed his options. Aeron was out of the question, but Blake was bound to be free. Before Evelyn died, he would've gone to her place first. She always had a way of calming her down. He whipped out his phone and dialed Blake's number.

"Yellow?" Blake's sleepy voice asked.

"Hey. Can I crash at your place tonight?"

"Sure man." A pause. "Is something wrong?"

"Just stress. And hey, can I have a ride?"

Nathan heard rustling on the other end. "Let me get dressed real quick. I'll be there shortly."

The line died.

About ten minutes later, Blake pulled up in his mom's car.

Blake rolled down the window and stuck his head out. "Hop on in." A groofy grin was pasted on his face, but Nathan could detect a hint of concern underneath.

Nathan obliged and got into the minivan. "Thanks."

"no problem." Nathan watched as Blake's Adam's apple bobbed. "Actually, my mom wants us to pick up some groceries before we head back." He gave a sheepish smile.

Amusement danced over his lips. "That's fine with me."

The grocery store sat practically in the heart of town. It was known for it's ridiculously high prices. But with the closest town being twenty minutes away, the citizens learned to deal with it.

Blake pulled the van into the busy parking lot, maneuvering around the bustling bodies.

"Sheesh. It's crowded," he said.

"They're probably stocking up for the early winter."

Inside, the store was packed tight with bustling moms pushing children in shopping carts, college students grabbing party food, and the odd man or two looking lost. Nathan grabbed a mini shopping cart.

"What first?"

A cartful of eggs, bread, and millk later, they headed to the checkout.

"Wait!" Blake grabbed a bottle of strawberry soda and a pack of gum. "I have plans for this baby later," he said, holding up the bottle of soda. 'And the gum is for drawing the ladies in."

Blake had always been the rash one, the one in the group who never used his head. His history of crazy parties and stupid stunts were widley known around the school. Who knew what he was going to do with that bottle? Blow it up? Douse an innocent victim in the street from his balcony?

Nathan shook his head and sighed. Sometimes there was no changing people.

They paid and left.

Blake's house was a nice little apartment above an office suply store called, "Charlotte's Crafts". Nathan used to make fun of him, before he realized just how cool the place was.

"So," Nathan began, grabbing a bag of groceries. "What ridiculous plan do you have for us tonight?" He had always secretly liked the daring adventures they shared, but he was never willing to admit it.

They carried their load up a set of rickety steps beside the store, pausing a second so Blake could open the door. Warm memories poured into Nathan. Pillow fights as a younger kid with Blake in the living room. A dazzling smile as Evelyn showed up with a friend to go to the Formal. Nathan had been nervous, seeing her in a green dress that made her eyes look brighter.

Blake grinned and brushed a strand of hair away from his face. "Well... it;s a Saturday night and that can't be wasted. So we're going to a party at Aeron's house. That's why we have the soda." He winked at Nathan, oblivious of his horrified expression. "Gice them some gum to lure them in. And then a soda without a shot of soemthing extra, and the babes won't be able to stay away, They like a man with virtue."

A/N: YOU GUYS OWE ME SO MUCH! I had to retype this entire thing so it would be posted for you all. So vote/ comment!

I know this is another boring chapter, but I promise some suspence in the next one!

Question of the day: What do you think will happen at the party? Comment below your answers. :)

-Sophia ^_^