.Chapter Twenty-One.

The following days passed in a dull blur for Nathan: wake up, ask Evie if she remembered, sigh in disappointment and go to school, get home, ask Sage for an update, trudge upstairs after the tiny shake of her head, repeat.

Everything felt pointless. What was the point in going to school when his dead girlfriend was on the verge of turning into a monster? Why do homework when her killer was out there, somewhere, probably unburdened with what he's done? And seeing a counselor was the last thing he wanted to do.

Somewhere from deep within the waiting room, a clock ticked a persistent countdown. It ticked along to Nathan's heartbeat, taunting him with the knowledge that time was running out.

He bounced his leg. Ran a hand through his hair. Flipped aimlessly through a car magazine.

Blake seemed to have no issues sitting around. He sat unaware of Nathan's internal struggles, reading a home improvement magazine tucked inside the pages of a Sports Illustrated.

What would he do, Nathan wondered, if his dead girlfriend was turning into a soul eating monster.

"Nathan Everson."

A pleasant looking blonde lady, with a kind smile and towering wedges, stood by the desk. Waiting for him.

He followed the lady past the front desk and into a hallway.

The hallway was a sharp contrast compared to the waiting room. While it had been full of warm colors and plastic-scented seats, the hallway reminded Nathan of what a mental institute should look like.

Dark gray carpet was stapled to the walls and floor. Even the ceiling had lights peeping out of the material.

"Don't mind the carpeting," the lady said, waving a manicured hand around. "We're in the middle of remodeling."

Nathan kept quiet.

They came to a stop at a door.

"I need to grab some papers." She unlocked the door with a tiny key attached to a belt loop of her slacks. "Go ahead and make yourself comfortable."

She left with the soft thud of her heels.

Her office was gray, but whereas the hallways was dark and claustrophobic, the office was light and bright.

Large bay windows lined an entire wall, thin curtains offering a slight sense of privacy. The desk was shoved in a corner in a futile attempt to hide the fact that they were only listening for the money. A golden name plaque dubbed the blonde lady as Jackie Merriweather.

Bean bags littered the middle of the floor, and Nathan flopped onto one. His gaze strayed upwards to the ceiling.

The thudding of heels returned, followed by the click of the door shutting.

"Sorry about that." The sound of a bean bag arranging around a body. "I had to grab some stuff." The soft flipping of papers.

"It's fine." Nathan's voice came out hoarse and he cleared his throat.

He could sense her assessing him, trying to find an angle to sneak a peek between the cracks of his defense.

"So, Nathan," she began brightly, "my name is Jackie and I'll be your counselor."

Obviously.

"So tell me some things about yourself."

Nathan felt wrong. What was he doing here? What was the point? The only reason he was here was because his dad didn't know what to do with him.

"What's the point? I know you have records of me. Just look through that."

"That's true, Nathan, but I want to know you." She paused, probably hoping that he would begin to spill his guts. She pushed ahead. "Well according to your dad, you're a bright kid. You're just going through a tough time."

"Oh?"

"You've lost someone."

Silence clogged the room. Evelyn wasn't lost. Lost is when there's a chance of return. But she was changing, becoming something she wasn't. Once that change happened... Nathan couldn't stand to think about it.

"You do know it wasn't your fault, right?"

Doubt squirmed in his gut. The bloody clothes, stumbling through the forest... all signs pointed at him.

"What happened to Evelyn..."

Blood thrummed in his ears. She had no right to talk about her. A flame ignited in him, boiling his blood.

"Do you blame yourself? For her death?"

Something deep inside him snapped. She didn't know anything about him. HIs father didn't even know him. He didn't belong here. He should be out there doing something.

"Look," he began, trying his hardest to keep his temper in control, "I don't care about your fancy degrees. You can't help me. In fact, I don't need help. The only reason I'm here is because my dad isn't here. He doesn't know me. He just assumes I need help.

So do me a favor: let me go and tell my dad everything is fine."

He stood up.

"Wait, Nathan-"

Jackie attempted to scrambled to her feet.

"I'm done here. I have better things to do." Like find my girlfriend's murderer, he added silently.

Blake looked alarmed when Nathan walked out.

"Dude, that was fast. Is everything okay?"

Nathan gave him a look that said drop it. "This was a waste of time. Let's go."

|<>|

Blake glanced over at Nate in the passenger seat. Something was off about him. Heck, he'd been acting differently ever since Evie....

A pang of sadness shot through him. She was one of the coolest girls in school, and she and Nate were perfect for each other. Now she'd been torn away, and a piece of Nate went with her.

Blake wondered, idly, whether or not Nate would be the same again.

A/N: So here's my update! I hope you guys like it...

Please vote/comment/follow!

Question of the day: What do you think will happen next?

-Sophia ^_^