.Chapter Ten.

The aroma of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies wafted throughout Nathan’s car, courtesy of Sage.

She had handed him the cookies without looking in his eyes, and told him they were for the Roses.

Now he was driving to Evelyn’s house, with Evelyn in the backseat.

“What’s my family like?” she asked for about the hundredth time.

Nathan tightened his grip in the steering wheel. “You’ll see when we get there.”

Butterflies fluttered in his stomach, their wings tickling him from the inside. His palms were clammy, and he quickly wiped them off on her jeans.

Nathan hadn’t seen her mom since the funeral, and then she was a blubbering mess. What if the sight of him sent her into a flood of tears? What if she didn’t want to see him?

The familiar white house stood to his left on an acre of land. The house has stood there for one hundred years, standing tall and proud. Her dog, Name, bounded up to the car, tail wagging.

“Hey, Name,” Nathan said as he scratched the dog’s head.

He grabbed the plate of cookies and followed the dog to the house.

Evelyn trailed behind, oddly quiet for once.

Nathan stood in front of the door, shifting his weight from foot to foot. He smoothed down his hair, balanced the cookies in one hand, and rang the doorbell.

The door unlocked with a click and then Nathan was looking at Evelyn’s mom.

She almost looked exactly like Evelyn. They both has large doe eyes, but whereas Evelyn’s were brown her’s were blue. Deep bags circled under her eyes like dark shadows.

“Hello, Ms. Rose--” Nathan’s words were cut off by Ms. Rose pulling him in for a hug.

The cookies were awkwardly wedged between them. Her blonde hair tickled his cheek, and sobs racked her body.

“Thank you so much for coming,” she whispered.

Evelyn peered at them curiously, frowning at the display.

“No problem. I brought cookies.”

She wiped her eyes and gave his a watery smile. “Thanks.” She took the plate and gestured for him to come in.

He closed the door behind him and slipped off his shoes.

Evelyn still hadn’t said a word.

“Actually, Ms. Rose, it’s Sage you should be thanking. She’s the one who made the cookies.”

Ms. Rose placed the plate of cookies on the coffee table in the living room. The sweet scent of chocolate and sugar wafted around the room.

Name trotted in the room, sniffing about. Her ears perked up, and she raised her head.

She looked directly at Evelyn curled up in the armchair she always used to sit on.

Bark! Name growled deep in her throat.

“Name! What on earth are you doing?” Ms. Rose got up and tried to chase her out of the room.

Evelyn looked on intrigued.

Name barked again.

“Name, that is enough!” Ms. Rose scolded.

Name flattened her ears and dropped her tail. She whimpered and looked at Evelyn.