.Chapter Fifteen.

The boy stood in front of the freshly dug grave, tears wetting his cheeks. A single daisy he picked on the way over was clutched in his hand. The white flower had stood out against the dying grass, persistently holding onto life despite the weather.

                He knelt by the grave.

                His chest ached, like a giant hand had punched his heart out of his chest, leaving a raw aching wound in its place. The tears continued to flow, and he sniffed.

                “I’m sorry, Evie,” he said. He let the tears flow, not even bothering to wipe them away. “I’m sorry for everything- every petty argument and-” He sobbed.

                The wind blew through his hair and dried his tears. His cheeks flushed from the sudden cold that his drying tears created.

                With a pale, trembling hand, he placed the rumpled daisy on the mound of overturned dirt, the crumpled petals moving in the wind.

                He knew her body wasn’t underneath the flower and dirt, but he felt like he had to make it up to her somehow. Knowing he shouldn’t stay any longer, he stood, his knees popping.

                “I miss you, Evelyn.” He turned around and walked out of the graveyard, the metal gate shrieking to a close.

                Not once did he turn back. If he did, he might’ve seen Evelyn looking between the daisy and him, confusion written all over her face.

|<>|

                A blue Ford pickup truck came to a stop in front of a brick house.

                Nathan glanced around, looking for Evelyn. She was nowhere to be seen. Good. He didn’t want her nagging him the entire time, telling him it was a bad idea.

                Nathan pulled on his shoes, hurriedly tying up the shoelaces. Lacing up that last of his shoe, he got to his feet.

                The horn outside honked.

                Something coiled deep in his stomach, and Evelyn’s words came back to him. I don’t think you should go see this Aeron guy. There’s something off about him.

                Brushing it off as nerves, he hurried to the truck, locking the front door behind him. He jogged up to the Ford, throwing open the door before sliding in.

                “Hey, Aeron.”

                Aeron’s hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, his grip white. His eyes were red and swollen and his cheeks flushed.

                “Hey, are you okay?” Nathan asked.

                “I’m fine,” he gritted.

                The truck pulled away from the curb, the engine purring beneath them. Aeron kept his eyes forward, never saying a word to Nathan.

|<>|

                The Burger Shop at the edge of town was empty, save for the odd old couple that could be found at their table alternating Fridays.