.Chapter Fifteen.

Start from the beginning

                Nathan and Aeron sat at a table in the corner, one wall containing a window facing the dense forest.

                “So…” Nathan began, unsure what to say. “Crazy weather we’ve been having, huh?”

                Aeron popped a couple French fries into his mouth, his dark eyes staring at his greasy burger. He swallowed.

                “Yeah. Lot’s of storms. People are prepping for a harsh winter ‘cause fall’s early this year.”

                “Yeah.”

                An awkward silence fell between the two. Aeron grabbed the straw wrappers off the middle of the table and started to fold it. Nathan fiddled with his straw.

                Aeron surprised Nathan by speaking first. “How have you been since after Evie died?” he asked cautiously.

                Nathan froze like a deer in headlights. His hand paused halfway to his hamburger, the fingers just about to brush over the seeded bun.

                “I-uh…. um…”

                “It’s okay. You don’t have to answer.”

                “No, it’s fine,” Nathan said. “It’s just hard to talk about. You know?”

                “I know.” He took a swig of his drink, the carbonation making his tongue tingle. He swallowed hard before picking out his next question with care. “Do you, I don’t know, suspect anybody?”

                Nathan furrowed his brow, the seeds of suspicion planted deep in his gut. Evelyn was right. He was acting.... off.

                Could he possibly know?

                “Well… no. Not really. Even the police haven’t figured it out.” Nathan tapped his finger against the lid of his drink before taking a sip. “How about you? Do you suspect anybody?”

                Nathan leaned forward and crossed his arms. Their food lay untouched on the table, a smudge of ketchup on the plastic surface.

                Aeron looked at the ketchup like it offended him and wiped it away with the corner of his napkin. Crumbling it up, making sure the ketchup was in the center of the napkin, and spoke.

                “I think it was someone close to her.”

                The two boys glowered at each other, daring the other to say it.

                Aeron looked away first, grabbing his cheeseburger and taking a bite with his eyes studying where the food once was. They finished their meals in awkward silence, every now and then looking up at the other.

                Aeron’s mouth felt dry, his tongue like sandpaper. His hands began to get clammy, and even wiping them off on his jeans didn’t help.

                He took a sip of his soda, hoping that it would fix his parched mouth.

                Nathan finished his hamburger, wiping the ketchup off his fingers on his jeans. He stood, pulling on his jacket, and threw his trash away.

                The sky outside was starting to fade into twilight, the sun sinking below the horizon. Dusk wrapped its dark fingers around the earth.