Chapter 10

Davina's POV

We stayed like that for a few minutes, just mother and daughter. I began studying how warm and soothing her hugs were. So that when she forgets me and I leave, I will always remember my mother's hug.

Nina will always be my mother too. She kissed my boo boos when I was hurt, read to me each night, held me as I cried and loved me when she didn't have to. She raised me and I love her unconditionally for it. But there's something about your birth mother that causes a deeper connection. I could never favor one or the other. But I am blessed by Merlin to have not one but two amazing mothers.

Finally, pulling away from me Mum called out, "Alright boys, you can stop snooping now!"

I chuckled as Dad and Ty shuffled into the room wearing guilty sheepish smiles. Lena shook her head and I couldn't help but think that even twenty four years in the past, and some things just don't change.

Dad sat next to me as Ty sat next to Mum, who didn't hesitate to give him a hug too. When they finally pulled apart Ty looked at me and questioned, "You're not gonna cast a Bat-Bogey Hex on me are you?"

"It's still up for debate." I growled.

"You may look like me, but you definitely got Cole's temper." Mum remarked.

"OI!" Dad and I argued in unison.

We both looked at each other with tiny smiles, and Mum just shook her head again at how right she was. But I could still see a smile on her face.

"Vina I'm really sorry." Ty apologized.

"Then why didn't you tell me?!" I fumed, "You knew for 16 years, Ty! All those times I confided in you about how Dad favored you, you just let me believe I did something wrong!"

Dad furrowed his brows at Ty and I before asking, "It's not all on him Davina, future me could have told you too. But, what do you mean, I favored Ty?"

Instead of answering, I just stared at the floor and let Ty answer. He had lots of explaining to do anyway.

"In the future, after Mum dies, you take it really hard Dad. Grandma Ella had to live with us for a year after it happened just to help you get back on your feet. But even after that, the tiniest reminders of Mum would upset you. As Vina grew up it got hard for you sometimes because not only does she look like her but she got into the same house and even has some of her personality."

Ty looked at me when he explained, "That's partly why I didn't tell you Vina. If I even mentioned Mum's name Dad would shut down. And by the time you were old enough to understand you were already so attached to Nina. It would break everyone's heart. I thought I was doing the right thing and I'm sorry."

I knew Ty was genuine and I get he meant well but he definitely could have handled it better. He got to keep all her memories to himself and hid the truth from me. It wasn't fair of him. But then I remember that he was five when she died. How can a five year old make mature decisions? They can't. Which is why I can't blame this all on Ty.

I flung my arms around his neck and felt him hug me back and all was forgiven. Doesn't mean I still won't hex him later though.

As I pulled away, I looked at everyone and grinned, "I love you guys," they all smiled at me and were about to echo my thoughts when I continued, "but I'm hungry and Grandma Molly's cooking smells AMAZING from here."

Shaking their heads at me, we all stood up joined everyone in the kitchen. We found everyone had made room at the table for all four of us to sit by Sirius and Ella at the end of the table. So that for the first and last time ever, we could eat as a family.

"Alright, now that everyone's here," Dumbledore announced, "tuck in!"

No body hesitated and we all quickly piled our plates high with food. I looked around the table and smiled as I watched everyone begin talking animately with each other.

Teddy and Tonks were competing to see who could morph their face into better animals while Louise and a Lily judged.

Albus and Rose laughed as they recounted all the times James got in trouble to Harry and Ginny.

Fred(II) and Roxy listened with rapt attention to George and Fred(I)'s stories of all their greatest pranks. And in turn they listened to the next generation twins explain how amazing their shop turned out to be and how they keep the Weasley mischief reputation in tact at Hogwarts.

Victoire and Dominque explained her wedding plans to Grandma Molly, Grandpa Arthur and Uncle Bill.

Ron and Hugo discussed different chess strategies while they both stuffed their mouth with food and Remus questioned how Hermione knew he was a werewolf in her third year.

The only person not having a conversation was James. Instead he was staring right at me, mouthing, 'Are you ok? '. 

I gave him a smile and a nod, reassuring him I was fine and ignoring the feeling I got as butterflies filled my stomach when he smiled back.

Turning back to my plate with a grin on my face, Mum leaned in and whispered, "Good job, he's a cute one."

A blush swept over my whole face at her words and I took a peek at James. He was still looking at me and was wearing a wide smirk on his face as if even from the other side of the table he knew my blush was because of him.

I turned back to Mum and scoffed, "Yeah he is, but he's also a clueless git."

Grandma Ella snorted from beside me and said, "Trust me I grew up with Harry's father, all Potter men are when it comes to pretty girls."

Hearing her words, I decided that just this once, I'd hope they were true. Making eye contact with James one more time, he gave me an affectionate smile and I felt a grin naturally spread across my face.

I really hope she's right.