Chapter 7

Cole's POV

"Wait," Bill asked aloud, "Why did he name you Fred?"

The laughter came to an abrupt stop as the boisterous time travelers became uncharacteristically quiet. The happy mood in the room dropped as we all watched the wide grins fall off our future children's face and their once glowing eyes dulled with the lifeless expression that my friends and I have witnessed all too often in each other. The look of pain, loss, and grief. 

My eyes trailed Lupin's son, Teddy I think he said it was, as his hair turned a dark shade of blue. Then to his doting fiancé, Victoire, as she rubbed circles on his back and whispered into his ear, only receiving a lifeless nod in return. My eyes scanned all the time travelers, all with mournful expressions across their face. But my eyes soon stopped as I found the most gut wrenching sight of all, Davina. 

Her face was blank, she looked as if the sudden sad aura in the room didn't exist. But, I've seen that mask, I've worn that mask. Hell, I've mastered it. So, to most people she looked like she was completely unaffected by Bill's question. But, I knew where to look, her eyes. Her amber eyes were glassed over with unshed tears, telling the story of painful loss. 

Except, that's not what broke my heart, it's what her eyes were aimed at, my Dad.

I felt a comforting squeeze in my hand and looked down at Lena. She gave me a weak half smile, but any smile from her is enough to lift anyone's spirit. I squeezed her hand back and wrapped my arm around her shoulder. Comforting each other, as we knew that whatever they were about to say, it wouldn't be good.

Bill's amused grin soon slid off his face as he realized he didn't ask the right question. Clearing his throat in the soundless room he asked, "Wh-what happened to Fred?"

All the next generation kids looked down at the table. Teddy opened his mouth to answer but quickly closed it and avoided eye contact, much like his cousins.

"I die, don't I?"

Everyone's eyes snapped up to Fred(I). He looked sickly pale, but his smile had never left.

"Well, come on. At least tell me I die as a dashing knight in shining armor, saving a beautiful damsel in distress." Fred(I) chuckled.

"Stop that Fred!" George chided, being serious for once, "You're not dying! You can't die! Tell him!" he demanded looking back at the time travelers.

They all looked sadly back at him, the answers in the tear filled eyes. George started choking back his tears, but as Fred(I) rested his hand on his shoulder saying it was ok, he broke. He turned and sobbed into his shoulder, begging him not to go.

"My baby!" Molly cried and enveloped both her twins in her arms. It wasn't long before everyone silently cried for the boy who never failed to bring happiness in a time of darkness.

Lena began to tremble under my arms, shoulders shaking in grief, as she began to cry. I pulled her flush against my side and kissed her temple. Both of us finding comfort in the other. She mourned the loss of her best friend and I cried for the loss of my brother. The boy- no man- who stuck by me even as everyone at school believed I was a Death Eater 'like my father'.

"Please, tell us what happened." Harry croaked. 

I could only imagine he once again felt responsible for another death out of his control. 

My supposed eldest son sighed, looking at the distraught state Teddy was in before confessing, 

"What I'm about to say, will not be easy nor very pleasant. Just know that after all the pain, it brought peace and happiness to us all. My family and I would not be here otherwise, living the life we do now. I know this will be hard for you and it may be asking a lot, but please let me explain everything before you ask questions."