9: Refresher

Tell me what you know about Cagaster. Kidou demanded of you as you lounged on some ruins in the slum.

Why? You know I know everything that you do. You scowled.

Because you have to stay sharp. Smart. Ahead of everyone else. He stroked your hair.

With a sigh, you obliged.

The initial outbreak of Cagaster began thirty years ago. It transforms humans into insects. At the most, it takes twenty minutes for the infected to lose their sanity and become giant, man-eating insects. The disease is untreatable. At the first sign of disease, the law is human rights don't apply to that person any more. The killing of the infected, even before they completely become bugs, is not murder. It's extermination. You are an exterminator.

Kidou smiled.

Me? An exterminator? He pretended to look shocked.

Of bugs! You laughed, And I'm an exterminator of annoying boys!!

He laughed as you chomped and karate-chopped at him until you were both laying down, facing each other.

Do you really think of me as that? He asked.

As annoying? Definitely. You signed with a playful smile. Kidou couldn't help but smile back.

As a boy. He clarified.

Sure, why not? You shrugged as he frowned just a bit at that statement. Aren't you? You're a boy and I'm a girl. Most people fall into those categories. But not everyone.

I thought you might say I'm a man. He shrugged and sat up.

Quickly, you sat up after him and tapped his shoulder.

Regardless if you're a boy, man, girl, woman, pig or monkey, you're still my favorite person.

His heart beat a little faster.

Still, He signed indignantly, at least call me a man.

Sadist man? Pervert man? Scum man? Disgraceful man!? Your hands flew around and you laughed again.

His eyes got wide and then narrow.

Naji told you? About the girl?

Everyone tells me everything here. They feel bad that you leave me in the slums. You shrugged again.

Kidou sighed.

Do you feel bad? And I meant to tell you about her, but I thought she had ran away anyway.

I understand. Our first concern has been and will always be that we cannot become Cagasters.

He nodded and rubbed the back of your head, bringing you into a hug.

There was a suspicious murder on the other edge of the slum. Stay away from there, I'm not sure if it's Cagaster or not. But I'll be there tomorrow all day.

You wanted to respond, but your heart was beating fast. Being this close and intimate with Kidou was difficult on your heart. Would there come a time that you could ever confess your feelings? Or would he always see you as a burden that he is responsible for? Why else wouldn't he bring you into the city?

You ceased your stirring thoughts and enjoyed the moment. That was something you didn't know if you had more of, so savoring it was at the top of your list.