xxix. the right chemistry

D (Half Moon) feat. Gaeko - Dean

THEA'S POV:

My heart drummed a discordant beat.

I waited in my seat, trying not to tremble.

The teacher paused at my desk.

He handed me the paper.

My body went rigid as I flipped the test over.

There was an A star on the front.

I bowed my head back and released a huge sigh of relief. A smile took over my face. I couldn't believe I'd managed an A star in chemistry - the worst of my subjects - especially during one of the worst periods of my life. How was that even possible? Some kind of magic must have been in the air at the time because I surely couldn't have done this on my own. Still, I couldn't help but ball my fists up tightly, almost shaking with joy.

Murmurs filled the classroom as the other girls started to share their grades, some laughs and groans of annoyance making their way to my ears. Flicking through the test, my mind drifted to Synn's reply to my message only an hour ago.

Synnie <3: I'm sorry, baby. I won't be able to make it today.

Synnie <3: I'm sending my friend to collect you.

Synnie <3: Remember. You're safe. He won't hurt you.

Synnie <3: Pinky promise.

A hurricane of emotions took me by storm. After staying over at Synn's house, he'd dropped me home the next morning where we reluctantly parted, only to remember his promise to drive me to and from school for the following weeks. Every morning, he'd park his car a few houses down and I'd run to him, eager to find comfort in his fond eyes and silky words. The effect he had on me, no one could explain.

I wanted to trust Synn's words as much as I trusted him but the thought of being taken home by a man who was a stranger to me had snakes coiling around my heart, each one slowly constricting around the muscle and spitting black poison. I didn't want to be selfish. I was more than grateful for Synn's routine of picking me up and dropping me every day, and I knew he had his priorities, but a small part of me wished he could stick to me like glue - be my shield to the world and all the other men in it.

Kneading a hand over my chest in an attempt to ease the tension, I exhaled a shaky breath and looked down at my answer paper. I picked up the mark scheme. Glancing between the two sheets, I made an effort to distract myself, only to feel a prod on my shoulder. I turned to find a familiar girl seated there, her dirty blonde hair tied up into a high ponytail today.

Danny, the still-sorta-new girl.

Although she wasn't very talkative, I had noticed that she was particularly dismissive of the popular girls and would sometimes even make an effort to speak to me of all people. I wasn't sure what I'd done to deserve the honour.

"What did you get?" she nodded at the paper in my hand and I bit down on my lip, hating to admit my grade to other people in case it would hurt their feelings.

"Um, an A-A star," I stammered quietly, expecting a scoff or rude remark. Instead, she gave me a lopsided sort of smile. It stunned me but as soon as I saw it, it was gone.

"I did shit in comparison," she said and waved her test about in the air, my eyes zoning in on the bold red marker on the front of her paper. She got a D. Stretching back in her seat, she crossed her arms behind her head. "My dad's gonna throw a fit when I get home."

"It's okay... I'm sure you'll do better next time." I smiled at her encouragingly but on the inside, I was trying my best to formulate coherent sentences and not embarrass myself completely.