xxvii. dreamy night

Wings - So!YoON!, Phum Viphruit

THEA'S POV:

Looking up at the ceiling, I twisted and turned while laying in bed.

Alone.

After my little comment about sleeping together, Synn decidedly changed his mind and declared he'd take the sofa instead. I'd protested and said his bed was perfectly big enough for the both of us but he was persistent, saying there were a couple of things he needed to do and that he didn't wish to disturb me - and so half an hour later, I found myself in the darkness of his bedroom with a kiss lingering on my forehead from his sweet, promising mouth. I'd much rather he could kiss me now but he didn't seem to agree.

Disappointment and longing played a solemn musical number in the cavern of my thorax; the musical notes filled the empty space as best it could, but the echoes only made me feel more hollow.

Now that I was alone with my feelings, I was more confused than ever. I couldn't believe Synn had said those wonderful things... I couldn't believe I'd done those wonderful things to Synn. I raised two fingers to my lips and reminisced the feel of his mouth on mine, the warmth of his eager, punishing tongue and his fingers slipping through my hair. The memory had a shy grin consuming me. I buried my face in the pillow and squealed, flailing my legs briefly before grabbing the other pillow and hugging it tight.

Peering over the pillow, I stared at the wide, endless windows. But if he liked me so much, why didn't he want to sleep with me?

The thought puzzled me. I knew he wasn't rejecting me but it certainly felt like it. How had I managed to capture a sexy, loving boyfriend and lose him in the span of a night?

I sighed a sorrowful sigh and released the pillow from my embrace. I just needed to sleep, like Synn had said. Before kissing me goodnight, he'd asked me to write down a description of the woman at the cafe and any other details I figured were important, and after that, he'd said rest.

Rest... rest... but how was I supposed to rest after an eventful night like this?!

Screwing my eyes shut, I summoned all the exhaustion inside me and prayed I'd fall asleep in the next hour, but as I tossed and turned beneath the silky covers, it seemed nobody was in to answer my prayers. The night trickled on, blackness pooling the night sky only to be lit by a thousand gemstones of the city lights. I listened to cars honk and screech, the clock tick on the wall, and my tummy rumble mildly when I remembered I didn't have dinner.

I couldn't fall asleep like this. I just couldn't.

Crawling out of bed, I wrapped the duvet around me and pressed a pillow to my stomach. The marble floors were ice-cold beneath my unsuspecting toes and I tried not to shiver as I wandered over to the door. Clad in only Synn's large, white button-down, the cool air brushed my thighs. Even though he was the one who had lent me his clothes, I still felt embarrassed wearing them and subconsciously huddled myself tighter in the blanket so my body was removed from view.

I stepped into the hallway. The streaks of gold that were gouged through the wall appeared to glimmer, molten and moving. In silent awe, I took in the emptiness of the penthouse and wondered what else was hidden inside. There were a number of tasteful paintings breaking the strands of gold and I stopped to stand in front of one at the end of the hallway: a watercolour boy composed of greys was the centrepiece and before him, a world of multitudinous colour. Greens, violets, yellows and blues all came together in a vivid ensemble, so rich that I could practically taste the colours on my tongue. I tilted my head at the boy, so detached from the world and yet longing to be part of it.