Chapter 34: Scam

"Ah?" Not expecting that the lady would be angered, Shang Bin is astonished. He immediately explains, "Shen laoshi, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about Zhang Xuan. If he doesn't have the money, he shouldn't be going around treating others. Look, he ended up getting stopped by the waiter, how embarrassing is that. He is sullying the prestige of our academy..."

The more he spoke, the darker his goddess's face turns, to the point that it seems as though she will erupt at any moment now. Shang Bin is bewildered by the twist in the situation. At this moment, the waiter interrupts awkwardly, "Shang shaoye..."

"What?" Shang Bin glances at him with a frown.

"Cough cough, the one that is treating is... Shen laoshi!" The waiter says.

He received the order to cooperate with Shang Bin's show. Yet, he would have never expected that it would be the lady that foots the tab. Before he could report it to him, Shang Bin had already rushed over, making it even more difficult to explain the situation to him.

"Shen laoshi is the one treating?"

Shang Bin is horrified. His eyes widens in disbelief.

Are you for real?

He had been asking the goddess out to eat everyday and yet she simply dismisses his invitations. What rights does the worst teacher of the academy have to be sharing a meal with her, not to mention... having her to treat him?

"Why? Just because I have no money to foot the tab means I'm feigning generosity and embarrassing myself, is it!" Shen Bi Ru glares at him coldly. She had been embarrassed in front of Zhang Xuan multiple times today and she had been dispirited over it all this while. Yet, this fellow just had to mock her at such a moment. She feels her rage on the verge of flying out of control.

"No, that's not it..." Shang Bin's face pales and he looks as though he is about to cry.

Only now does he understands that he had accidentally insulted his goddess in the midst of trying to fawn on her. He immediately waves his hands as though to dispel the misunderstanding, "I didn't mean that, I mean to... to..."

Stuttering, he is unsure of how he should explain it.

However, as expected of a teacher of the academy and the grandson of an elder. Having experienced and seen many things, he quickly recovers and turns to look at the waiter. Gesturing majestically, he declares, "Alright, Shen laoshi's debt is my debt. How much does it cost? I will pay for her!"

"Shang shaoye, you are an esteemed guest of our Hongtian Pavilion, how can we accept your money!" The waiter nods his head in a panic.

These are the lines they had prepared beforehand so as to flaunt his background and ability before his goddess.

"That is great..." Shang Bin wanted to tug on the subject awhile longer to showcase his superiority when Shen Bi Ru's cold voice sounds out once more, "It's okay, I will pay for my expenses so that others won't claim that I am feigning generosity!"

At this moment, she retrieves a hairpin from her head and passes it over, "This jade hairpin is worth at least 5000 gold coins, you can verify it with a specialist. I will be leaving it in your care first. After I retrieve my money, I will be back to redeem it!"

"This..."

Holding the jade hairpin, the waiter is unsure of what he should do.

This isn't part of the script they agreed on...

"Shen laoshi, you don't have to do this. I am acquainted with manager Wu of Hongtian Pavilion, so as long as I speak up, that debt of yours don't mean anything at all..."